Sunday, April 05, 2020

Sewing Masks

Yesterday's weather started off with a snow flurry. It didn't last more than 5 minutes and it didn't leave a white impression on us. It was cool with a high of 4C. Today it is partly cloudy with a bit of wind and a temperature of -2C this morning and a high of 7 later today.

Lifestyle

I finished cleaning the dining area. The curtains were taken down and shook in the wind. Rods wiped free of dust and all put back together. The furniture was wiped and the heat pump head cleaned. I also scrubbed the floor with soap and bleach. I also washed the bathroom and kitchen floors to keep them really clean. 
I took my birthday flowers daughter gave me a week ago and washed the stems in warm water, removed the dead flowers and put them back into a clean vase. They add some brightness to our days. I'm hoping they last another 4-5 days. 
I made lasagna for dinner last night and it was a wonderful meal. Leftovers tonight.
We had our largest number of cases of the virus -- 29 reported yesterday. Are we going to spike as they are now finding community spread? Or will people follow the rules and help slow the spread?  

Sewing

Daughter-in-law wants a couple of masks. Using the information from the blog High Fibre, I made two in about an hour following the video link. 
They are going to be too big for her as they are almost too big for me. I can do some changes for my size by sewing an almost 3/8" seam allowance rather than a 1/4" and make the elastic 6.5" long rather than 7".
I have looked for another pattern in a smaller size and am ready to cut one out. Same fabric as the ones I already made. I will report on the pattern tomorrow. 
I am only making these masks as there has been no call for masks in our area. If need be, I may make one or two for me if needed. We are limited on what we are doing so don't have the need for them at this time.

Knitting

I'm knitting away on the test sweater asking myself questions as I'm going along. 

  • Why do we have to pick up stitches to knit the neckband? Why not start off with the neckband on the sweater as it is knit neck down? Yes you have to increase  on the first row of knitting. 
  • The same question is asked of the button bands. Add them onto the fronts rather than do them after the sweater is knit. 
I may just have to adjust the pattern on my own if I chose to knit it again. I am now knitting the sleeves. 

Today

I am going to sew the next rendition of the face mask this morning. Will deliver them on our way out for a drive. No stopping while we are touring around. Knitting tonight. 
Until the next time......................................


1 comment:

  1. Ann: This is very similar to the pattern that the Deaconess hospital chain published here in New England. The adult size is 2 pieces cut 6" x 9" and the child or small adult size is cut 7 1/2" x 5". Many health practitioners have complained about the elastic loops being very uncomfortable after wearing for any length of time. I bet they are really uncomfortable if eyeglasses are worn. I am going to make mine (today) with the elastic going around the back of my head. Also: Our local hospital and many other places prefer the fabric ties, as these are more adjustable to the wearer's head size/shape. Hope you and your husband remain healthy through this widespread challenge.

    ReplyDelete