Monday, July 01, 2019

Setting Sewing Goals

Setting Goals


With the first half of the year gone, I decided to review what I've done and where I need to go. 

Sewn and Purchased Totals


  • I've sewn 24.2 meters of fabric in the first 6 months of the year. That is 27 yards. My best for many a year. 
  • I purchased 15.15 meters of fabric or 17 yards. Of that I have used about 3 meters as most of it is for doll clothes. 3 meters is about 3.33 yards. Seventeen yards is the least amount I've bought in 6 months and having 13.6 yards of it stashed is also amazing. Confession time - most of it was for doll clothes and 1 piece for a shirt for the Spousal Unit. 
I am happy with my totals. I lost 8 weeks of sewing when the basement flooded and had to be restored so only sewed 4 of the first 6 months of this year. 

The Plan

As I put the fabric back onto the shelving unit after the flood, I was unhappy with how much I have. I do not seem to be sewing it up like I should. Why?
  • I spend a lot of time sewing doll clothes which uses up small amounts of fabrics (.25 meters at a time). It takes a lot of sewing to whittle down the stash when sewing tiny amounts.
  • I have a lot of Christmas fabric. More than my fair share of it. The problem is, I love Christmas fabric and I hate to sew it up. I love to admire it. That worries me as I always am looking at Christmas fabric at the fabric stores. 
  • I have lobster print fabric for a project that never happened. It just sits on the shelving unit worrying me. 
  • I bought 2 pieces of drapery remnants and they also sit there worrying me. 
I stood there looking at the fabric and had to come up with a plan. I scanned Pinterest and looked back at draft entries on the blog. I went back to look at the fabric and came up with a plan. It will unfold as I sew. 
With the plan in my mind, I have decided I can only buy fabric if I need it to finish a project and that I can buy notions such as thread, interfacing, buttons, and bag trimmings. The second thing to do is get creative and face those worrying fabrics head on first. 
  • The lobster fabric that didn't happen. It has worried me silly and I had to deal with it. 
    • Placemats -- 2 different types of 4 each. Napkins to match and two reusable bags should use up the vast majority of the fabric. Maybe all of it. 
  • The two remnants that I bought and regretted. The  prices were great ringing in at about 2.50/meter. One will become wall art for the downstairs bathroom and the other will become a reusable grocery bag and a smaller bag. 
  • Christmas fabric is to be used up and not petted and left on the shelf.
    • Napkins, placemats, table runners and pillow cases to begin with. Not overly creative but they use up large amounts of fabric. 
I won't be just sewing up the worrying fabric all at once. I have other things to sew also. I need to have a monthly plan of what I want to sew for enjoyment, for need, and to use up the stash. And I'm looking at it once a month. 

July

  • A shirt for the Spousal Unit. (need)
  • Two bags for barrel racers (enjoyment)
  • 2 placemats from lobster fabric (use up stash)
  • Reusable bag from remnant (use up stash)
  • Test pattern for the dolls (enjoyment)
If I get more done, then I will be happy. These are the projects I have planned and want to get done in July. 

No comments:

Post a Comment