Sunday, July 28, 2019

Bag #4 Started

Yesterday was quite warm with a high of 28C and a humidex reading of 32C. It was cool last night at 13C of which we opened the windows to air the house. It is to be another warm one as the warm and humid air mass moves over us. 

Lifestyle

We had a fabulous dinner on Friday night. I spent the morning prepping the prime rib for the BBQ and the vegetables to roast in the oven. Once the prime rib is on the BBQ I'm glued to it making sure it cooks low and slow. I made a Greek salad and we had a wonderful meal with family. Dessert was ice cream cake and the neighbors came over to help eat it. 
Elliott had a tough morning yesterday. He could not settle down at all. He roamed around and got quite tired. He finally came into the sewing room and I covered him in a blanket on the comfy chair. A bit later he slithered out and laid on the floor (cooling off) and finally slept for many hours on the chair while I sewed.

Sewing

I was able to head down to sew mid morning and the first job was to sew snaps onto the yellow flowered doll top. I used a trick I found on Pinterest. Which I didn't save. It basically is condition thread by running it through beeswax. Fold in half and thread the loop through the eye of the needle. You now have 4 threads to knot. When you sew on a button you are sewing 4 threads vs 1 or 2. I did 2 passes on each hole the the snaps with out any issues. Very thrilled with the result and I will be using this trick all the time. 
I started a new bag. The fabrics I chose to use.
Fabrics are reversed but when I pull fabrics together I don't worry about that. 
The piping was made before lunch. A full 3 meters from a fat quarter.
Next came the design. I'm liking what I see on this one. 
I did spend some time getting the herd of horses in a good spot and I had to improvise on the back. 
We will call that a design element. I sewed a piece of the light fabric down the seam to hide it. The handles have piping on them. I had a thought about the button and it turned out perfect. 
I'm ready to do the loop for the button closure. It will have piping on it also. Once that is done, the bag can be constructed. The fiddly bits will be done and then it's the easy part. Sewing it together. 
I am ready to start a list of what I need to make Bendy bags from the scraps. I'm excited to start on them and reducing the scraps even further. 

Knitting

I did a couple of rows yesterday but the humidity got to me. Our dehumidifier is running non stop and my hands sweat while knitting. I'll try again today. 

Today

I have a load of laundry to do and I'll sew and try to knit. Grandson is spending part of the day here so we may do something with him. 
Until the next time..........................

No comments:

Post a Comment