Sunday, June 30, 2019

Using More of The Stash - Placemats

Yesterday's weather was wet with periods of darkness. It brightened up in the afternoon and we had no rain all night. Today is cloudy with showers expected during the day. A cool Canada Day weekend for sure. 

Lifestyle

It was a day of folding laundry, cleaning up the kitchen and doing a bit of grocery shopping. 
Our garden is growing well with the potatoes taking the lead for being the fastest. 
They are growing an inch or two every day. We sure hope they are growing potatoes under the ground as fast. 
The roses are producing also. The Spousal Unit picked three for the house and left one to open a bit more before picking it. 
The white rose is a flora bunda and the red is a hybrid tea. 
And the one outside. 

Health

I took some time yesterday to think about why I am feeling glum and stressed (I've clenched my jaws until my teeth hurt and didn't sleep well last night). A few things came to the surface. The weather has been one. The other is Facebook. Shall we say, I'm cleaning house as it's time to move on. I'm feeling better about what I've done. 

Sewing

This tutorial has had me thinking about place mats. I sat downstairs and figured out the sizes of the fabric to make an 18 x 14" placemat. The red fabric is 21.5" x 17.5" and the white is 15.5" x 11.5". I followed the tutorial as written and I got what I wanted. I used fabric I've had in the stash for almost 3 years. I bought it for a project that never materialized so am using it for placemats and napkins. 
I did not use any interfacing or batting as I wanted thin placemats. They are what I had expected. I will make 3 more and 4 napkins in the red fabric. 
Upon doing a bit of hunting I found this picnic placemat tutorial. I will be making 4 of these using the lobster fabric (I have lots of the red and less of the white). My size will be 16 x 12 and may cut the pieces 16.5 x 12.5". Instead of turning them as instructed, I may just bind them. The remaining red fabric will be used to make bags as I want this fabric gone. It will take some time as I need to start other projects soon. 
I also laundered the baking for the cardinal wall hanging. I found a piece in the stash to use. Though it doesn't match, it won't be seen at all. I need to buy painters tape to stretch the backing onto the floor and pin the batting and top to it so I can quilt it. 

Knitting

I worked on the test pattern and am ready to do the third button hole and then the sleeves. 
The bodice of most knit dresses are similar when knit from the top down. The fun begins when you do the pattern on the skirt. As I looked at the bodice, I wish I had thought to knit 3 rows of beads at the front neckline. I will do that if I knit this dress again. 

Today

I may go outside this morning and clean the weeds out from our hedge. It's time to do it and I am thinking it will have to be done between the rains that are forecasted. I would also like to sew the second lobster placemat and prep for the remaining two. 
Until the next time..............................

No comments:

Post a Comment