Tuesday, July 09, 2024

Working Through Projects and Lists

 Yesterday was hot and humid with an evening shower. The high got to 27.4C (humidex 36C). This morning it is cloudy and 18C. Today is suppose to be sunny with a heavy shower later this afternoon. The high is to get to 30C (humidex 38C).

Lifestyle

I was out to walk shortly after I got up this morning.. It was another walk in the fog. I went 1 km in 12 minutes. I recovered quickly when I got home which means my body is not totally out of shape. 

I had several goals yesterday and the first one was to launder the bedding. Done and bed made 1 pm. Hurrah.

The second goal was done while I did laundry and beyond. I had to make several calls and do several internet searches for travel insurance. I am now ready to buy it for the trip. I also inquired about using a credit card (emergency) in Europe. Got the drill on that. I was also out to the bank to buy Swedish Kona. More items ticked off my list.

In the late evening I went for a walk down our street (.5 km). It had rained hard for 5 minutes and there was a double rainbow to the east of us. Beautiful to look at. The evening walk was harder as it was muggy from the rain but I pushed myself to do it. 

Sewing

I did sew in the afternoon. The snaps got sewn onto the Orange Blossom outfit. Bow added with a bead on each tail. 

I did shorten the strings on the ribbon to above the lace. I also cut out and sewed the capris. I haven't sewn stretch fabric for a while and this was a challenge. The shirt was a light weight knit and annoyed me from start to finish. 

I have enough to make 3 more pairs of capris and I am going to get at least one decent pair sewn. 

Overall I am happy with the outfit. It is my rendition of Orange Blossom. If I make the dress again I would do a few things differently. 

    * measure the neckband and divide it according to the way she said to gather the neckline. Pin down to gathering and then gather. I think you will get nicer gathers that way. 

    * make the back opening have a bigger fold over. Either serge the edges and fold over 1/2" or add a bit more to the pattern piece and turn under the 1/4" and then 3/8". I hate having to sew snaps onto 1/4" fold over pieces. 

    * if not making capris, add length to the skirt piece. 

Knitting

I wound the left over sock yarn into small balls and put them into baggies with their labels. I will be adding them to the bag we want to sell next year at the garage sale. 

Next up I cast on the hat that goes with the sweater. I knit 22 rounds on it and am ready to start the decreasing for the crown. If a bit small, I will call it a beret as this outfit will have a Nova Scotia plaid skirt to go with it. 

Thoughts

    Day one of the heat warning is over and I am done with it. I had to empty the dehumidifier yesterday as it was full. I wondered why the house would not cool down properly. Humidity was 65%. I will be emptying it daily for the next few days as we are going to be hot and humid. What is surprising me is the heavy showers we are getting this time. It is keeping everything from drying out. 

    Visiting a yarn shop in Sweden is in the books. I want to buy at least one skein if not 2 for socks. I will be starting socks in the next couple of days so will take them to finish up and I may start ones with yarn from Sweden while there. If I buy a skein, I will have to get it wound into a cake so I can use it. If I buy 2 balls I will be okay to knit a pair of socks. 

    If I take my lap top, I have VPN and use all the time for protection. It took me a while to find it as I thought I didn't have it. But a good long search told me I did and how to turn it on to different countries. It had been protecting me all the time prior to that. 

Today

I am going to do a bit of cleaning up in the sewing room this morning. I have to be at osteopathy at 1:15 pm. I will probably come home right afterwards due to the heat. Tonight I would like to knit on the hat. If not too humid, I would like to walk up and down our street to continue my conditioning. 

Until the next time................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment