Friday, July 12, 2024

Post Tropical Storm Beryl Hit Us Hard

 Yesterday started out nice and ended with torrential rains. We had about 3.5-4" of rain fall. The high got to 26.9C (humidex 36C). This morning it is cloudy, calm and 22C (humidex 29C). Today we are to have mix of sun and clouds with a high of 28C (humidex 36C). We are under another heat warning. 

Lifestyle

I was out to walk again this morning and did 1.2 km without stopping. I actually walked further this morning in The Crossing. I am getting a decent stride figured out. I was tired when I got home due to the humidity and lack of wind. But I walked. 

My first stop of the morning was to have my hair cut. Once that was done, I was off to shop in New Minas. I got items and clothing for my trip, spray for the deer and fabric for a doll's outfit. On the way home, I stopped and picked up the Swedish krona I had ordered. 

I was tired from the heat and humidity so rested quite a bit in the afternoon. I looked up from knitting and it was raining. Then it was raining harder and harder and harder. I checked the weather app and saw this.


It wasn't what I had expected to see. 

I had to go to family's about travel insurance and that is when the thunderstorm started. It growled and rumbled and just before I left there was one over top of us. It was 4 loud rumbles in a row. Too close for comfort. I was lucky that it wasn't raining too hard while I was driving. 

In the evening I checked to see how much water was in the ditch. Water was running down between my neighbour's and my property. 

I went to look out the back and the neighbour's yard and one yard over was flooded. 

And from the dining room window.

I did go out shortly after that to take a video of the water running and then to walk down to check the power pole and my culvert. Not nice.

I stayed up on the road or driveway as it wasn't safe to be on the edge of the ditch. 

Windsor had its issues also. The fair grounds flooded and I am sure business will be mopping up today from water entering their stores. One can only imagine that water was spouting up from the sewer drains and the roads were covered with water. 

It is 10 days short of a year of having this kind of storm happen. One thinks of the lives lost last year and hope like crazy everyone is safe this time around. These storms are brutal even if you are safe in your home. I was downstairs to check for water (none) a few times. You watch the ditch get fuller and fuller and worry. You see the gravel run into the ditch and worry that it will build a dam and cause issues down the road. You think about other places that could flood like it did last year. How many people had to leave their homes and get to a safer place. 

Sewing

I bought fabric for Strawberry Shortcake's outfit. 

The slip is suppose to be in the strawberry print with the dress in the red. The ruffle on the slip is to show at the bottom. The hat is to be red outside and the print inside. 

Knitting

I finished the hat and need to try it on the doll. I bought the buttons for the sweater and have missed knitting a button hole. I may end up ripping the sweater back and fixing that little mistake. An evening or two of knitting. I have plenty of yarn left to do a lot of knitting if I choose to. 

Thoughts

    The storm that passed through was post tropical storm Beryl. I just read that now. It did a lot of damage along the Bay of Fundy. People are still dealing with last year's storm and are, once again dealing with more damage from this storm. 

    We are coming down the home stretch on our trip. I have to do a trial packing as I may need a larger suitcase. I will want to pack the back pack to make sure I can get everything into it. My next step is to get my prescriptions filled this afternoon. Still lots to do but less than 4 days ago. 

Today

I am doing housework this morning and then out for a bit this afternoon to family's and to order prescriptions. I need to make a shoe bag this afternoon out of fabric from the stash. I also need to pack a few items into ziplock bags. I will try to knit tonight. A busy day for me. 

Until the next time...........................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment