Friday, July 19, 2024

Trying to Get Quilts Ready to Put Away

 Yesterday was cloudy and cooler with a high of 26C (humidex 35C). This morning it is cloudy and 18C. Today is suppose to be mainly sunny with a high of 26C (humidex 31C). 

Lifestyle

I did not walk this morning as I had a rough night. I was up many times during the night with stomach issues. I ate too many cherries. My fault so I suffered the consequences. I also opened the windows and the house heated up. I turned on the a/c at 4:30 am to cool the house down.  

Yesterday morning started off with cleaning the downstairs bathroom. It was dirty as it had been neglected. But it wasn't as dirty as I had thought it would be. 

I also spent some time sweeping the sewing room. It took me quite a while to do because I did some clean up along the way. There was a lot of thread on the floor but I did find some pins and scraps of fabric. Though not perfectly clean, the room is tidy enough for now. I will do another deep cleaning on it in August/September. 

I watered the garden late last night and everything is looking healthy. I will need to fertilize the boxes before I leave. I noticed that there are peas and beans growing. 

Sewing

I had quite a bit of time to sew yesterday. While sweeping the sewing room, I decided to cut out block 9 of the Scandinavian Winter quilt. Once I had all the pieces cut out, I put the small scraps into the garbage and the larger ones into the bin to go to the quilting group. I did keep some of the large pieces for other projects. Once cut out, I did sew the blocks up to make sure I had enough of each. I was worried about the light coloured small squares and the purple snowflake fabrics

Once this was done, I swept around the cutting table and ironing board. 

After lunch, I sewed the block together very carefully so all the points were correct. 

I am happy with all the blocks in this quilt. It took me a long time to make each one as I took my time when cutting and sewing. 

The blocks are picked up off the floor and put away. I will get the sashing when I come home. I am hoping to get a pale blue/grey solid for it. Once done, it will go to the long arm quilter. Hopefully mid to late September. 

I had cut and glued the ends of the threads on the blocks for Column B on the cat quilt before lunch. I decided to sew them together as I want to get it off the floor before I leave. I had a strip of the top sashing cut and laid it between the columns. 

Column A and B have had the back sashings hand sewn down and the blocks for Column C are cut and the ends of the threads are glued to keep them secure. 

I am not sure how far I will go on this quilt before I leave. I may put it away once the three columns are sewn. At this point, I have learned a lot about quilt as you go with sashings. Watching a lot of videos on quilting has paid off. 

At this point I am not certain how much sewing I will be doing. I have fabrics to press for future projects. I need to clean up a bit more in the sewing room so it is tidy when I leave. I can do some pattern drafting for the dolls. I found a bodice pattern I had done a few years ago and would like to explore it further. 

Knitting

I finished the body of the doll's dress last night. 

It looks skinny but it is knit to gauge. I have picked up the stitches and started to knit one sleeve. This dress should be done in the next couple of days. 

Thoughts

    The humidity has decreased considerably and it isn't too bad to be out in for longer periods of time. I am looking forward to the nights being cooler so the windows can be opened. 

    Daughter sent me a picture of what it looked like at their house yesterday morning. 

The two fires south of them has exploded and merged yesterday. A lot of people have been evacuated. There is minimal fire fighting going on as it is deemed "rural". People are being evacuated about 5 km from the Ashcroft and many people in Ashcroft have packed up ready to go at a moment's notice. The weather has been hot and dry for well over a week and they won't see a break until Wednesday. 

Today

I am tired today but will keep moving. I need to do a bit of cleaning, get my prescriptions and help daughter-in-law out. I hope to sew on the cat quilt and knit tonight. I'll be in bed early as I am tired. 

Until the next time.....................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment