Wednesday, November 01, 2023

Another Busy Halloween Done and Put Away

 Yesterday the sun shone and it was cool. The high got to 6C. This morning it is frosty and -2C. We are to have snow starting around noon. High will get to 2C.

Lifestyle

Daughter-in-law was over in good time yesterday morning and we decorated the garage for Halloween. We put a few things into the donation box as we are done with them. We got new lights that will be used in the pumpkins next year. As the people have to come uphill, we like to have the front part of the garage decorated. Everyone loves it.  No pictures were taken as we were busy all evening with children.  

Once the garage was done, we set about to fix the light switches in the dining and living room areas. We had to go shopping to get the correct light switch for the dining area. We had the other one. The dimmer switches were worn out and the lights came on at about 50% and flickered. Though I don't have dimmer switches now, I have lots of light in both areas. 

At noon the power went off. It seems as if a vehicle hit a power pole where they were paving in the community next to us. About 10 000 customers were without power until 4 pm. I decided after I ate my lunch to go for my 1.4 km walk and then visit with my friend who was sitting in the dark. A great way to get through an afternoon of doing nothing. 

Once the power was on, I got dinner into the oven and daughter-in-law and I ate. We opened the garage door, turned on all the lights and candles and the fun began. We had about 250 people visit. We laughed and enjoyed the costumes. Two little girls in our area stole the show with their costumes. The youngest (about 2) was dressed as a chicken and we laughed watching her walk pulling the wagon. She didn't come in as she was determined to go home which is further down our road. The other little one lives across the busy road from me and is a sweetheart. 

The fun was over at 7:00 pm and daughter-in-law and I cleaned up everything and put it away. The car was parked in the garage. It had spent the evening at our friend filling up their driveway which we do every year. Our plan for next year is in the making. 

Sewing 

No power, no sewing

Knitting

When I sat down to warm up I was too tired to knit. 

Thoughts

    I was pretty proud of myself as I learned how to open the garage door when the power was off. When the power was on, I did open and close it so it would lock. I can get the car out if I have to when we have no power. 

    Highways put out pylons so people wouldn't park on our side of the busy road. Did it help? Maybe. We officially became illegal when the big pylons were put across our street but all the kids went up and down our street safely. The RCMP were here and said nothing. We had around 100 people on our street at one time. It's a great area for family's to visit. We are thankful for the family who supply the pylons. 

    The costumes were great with the two little girls being the stars of the night. Our biggest laugh was the man walking down our street to deliver pizza to a family. Daughter-in-law ran treats down to him and told him "neat costume". He had a great laugh over that. 

Today

I have physio at 8:15 am and after that I am home for the day. Not sure how much I will get done but I do know the garbage has to go out this afternoon. If I can, I will sew this afternoon and try to knit tonight. 

Until the next time................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment