Monday, October 09, 2023

Harvesting Is Done

Once the storm passed, it was a beautiful day. The sun shone and the high got to 20.3C. They say only .5" rain fell. It certainly felt like more but I doubt it. This morning it is clear and 7C and as it got lighter, the fog started to roll in. We are to have lots of sunshine and 20C today. 

Lifestyle

I did the balance sheet first thing and it balanced the first time. Hurrah. I enjoy doing this each Sunday as it tells me where I need to cut back and where I am okay. I don't need a lot this coming week except for some groceries. 

I did the yoga exercises and feel like they are working. I had a good day with some pain but not intense pain. This morning I am stiff in the hip and back but the tight muscles in the groin are getting better. I will continue to do yoga as I enjoy it and am seeing the benefits of it. 

The walking poles arrived yesterday around noon. I will take them to physio on Wednesday to have them fitted to me and learn how to use them. I will start walking a bit each day to get my legs stronger. 

I was out to the garage in the morning to cut the roots and tops off the leeks. I brought them in and washed them 3 times to get the dirt out of them. Daughter-in-law came over and while I chopped them up, she blanched and bagged them. We have enough leeks for 3 pots of leek and potato soup this winter. I will get more leeks next year so we can have 4-5 pots of soup. They are easy to grow. The kitchen and garage was cleaned up and I rested after being on my feet for a couple of hours. 

I changed 2 light bulbs and I didn't have the pain I had expected going up and down the ladder. I am trying to keep up on little things like this so I don't have to do lots at one time. I need to buy more light bulbs also. 

Sewing

I didn't sew yesterday as I was too busy with the leeks. I did do some thinking though. 

    I need to focus on getting the last potholders finished. I can do them this afternoon. No excuses as I will have some time to spare. 

    The binding for the quilt needs to be cut and sewn together and put onto the quilt asap. It has to go across Canada in the next 5 weeks. Before it goes, the owner of the quilt shop wants to see it completed. 

    The cardinal quilts need to be worked on. I have to press and cut out the red dot rectangles for Elliott's quilt and then start to sew the blocks together. I'd like to sew 2 a day. When they are done, I need to buy the backing and batting for it. This should be my only fabric purchase this month. 

    I have been watching videos on pattern making. I found one on dart manipulation and it has me thinking. I want to take some time to play with this. It is time to play with pattern making once again even if only using quarter size and doll slopers. 

    I need to finish cleaning the sewing room. I have looked at the mess and left it as I was too sore to deal with it. Now that I am feeling better it is time to finish that room a bit at a time. 

Knitting

 I did knit last night and got 4 rows done before my hand cramped up. The only good thing is - I have finished decreasing the arms and can just knit the pattern rows. 

Thoughts

    Tropical Storm Phillipe went through in a hurry. We did have wind and rain but it was nothing to really worry about. The weather is to cool off some this coming week which will be nice. 

    The gardening is done except for planting the garlic and pruning some plants. We did exceptionally well this year considering we weren't the gardeners in this family. I have looked at the seeds and will need to buy some in January. The plan is to have less cucumbers and tomatoes, more jalapeƱo peppers, leeks, and about the same amount of carrots, peas, and beans. We will put the extras into the freezer for winter as we have done in past years. 

    The pain has, once again, shifted. It is in my lower spine and radiates to both hips. There is less pain in my groin which is nice. I am not sure if the pain I am having is weakness or I need an adjustment. I feel like I am improving which is nice. I will be happy when I can work on strength and get more done. 

Today

I have to make buns for dinner tonight, do laundry, sweep floors, and get caught up from being busy and sore. I plan on finishing the potholders today. No knitting tonight as I am out for dinner at family's and friends will be over for dessert. 

Until the next time......................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment