Saturday, October 14, 2023

Almost Done The Binding

 Yesterday's weather alternated between heavy rain and sunshine. It would be dark and gloomy and then sunny and bright. An inch of rain fell and the high got to 13.4C. This morning is 11C and we are to have sun, clouds, some showers and a high of 14C. 

Lifestyle

Daughter-in-law was over early for our once a week chat. We talk about lots of things and this time was no different. When she left, I did my yoga exercises twice. I am really finding them helping me get stronger. The tight muscles are stretching out a lot more giving me less pain. 

Next I got the meat loaf mixture ready to put in the pans. Once it was done and in the fridge, I was out the door to get my flu shot. I am very fortunate that my doctor does a patient flu clinic. I arrived and got in line. It was a bit of a gong show as one person was trying to make an appointment and didn't understand that they couldn't until Monday. The person in front of me wanted to talk about a note he had from the hospital and it took some time and repeating that he, too, had to make an appointment on Monday. I got my shot and was gone. 

I was over to family's looking for boxes to use for shipping. I found 4 of them which I can use later on. We talked a little bit and I left for home as I wanted to get the meat loaves into the oven and cooked. I got them into the oven for 30 seconds and had to take them out and go with my friend to the quilt shop. 

I was over to see my friend late in the afternoon. It was pouring rain when I walked over using the walking sticks. We did head out to her son's rental unit to deliver 2 quilts and some other household items to a family who lost everything when their apartment flooded in the horrific storm we had in July. A bit later on, we went for a walk with the dog.

The Amazon Prime van arrived about 7:30 pm. The driver knocked on the door and when I opened it he was standing in the pouring rain. I got the two boxes inside and he took off to the van. I felt for him having to deliver in a heavy rainstorm. 

Sewing

I did spent time hand sewing the binding down. I got the long side done and have 29" left and it will be finished. I hope to finish it today and box it to ship. 

Once this quilt is done I am going to work on cleaning the sewing room before I sew each day. I am tired of the mess and need to get it cleaned up over the next 2 weeks. Once I clean for 20 minutes, I will work on the cardinal quilts. I am looking forward to seeing them become quilts. 

I finally found some videos on how to set up and do long arm quilting. The quilt shop does this and my friend told me that I just need to glue down the loose ends as I did. It is only when you custom quilt that you have total control over where the design goes. I had thought about buying a machine but am not going to do that. Doing all the math says it is not  a good purchase at this stage of my life. I want to take the course and see if I can do my tops on the machine at the quilt shop. 

As my friend got her fabric for binding a quilt, I looked at the 3 yard quilt books. I bought the easiest one as I liked several of the patterns. I may make one to donate to Project Linus which the other quilt shop is taking part in. I have to look for fabric on sale as each quilt takes 3 yards of fabric plus .5 yard for binding. You also need backing and batting for them. The shop will quilt them free of charge which is nice. 

Knitting

None done last night as my arm was sore from the flu shot. 

Thoughts

    I have been stressing about my hip and knee for 2 weeks now. I am now stressing a lot more since x-rays. I have been worried about one of them having to be replaced. I have improved but still worry when I have pain in the joints which could be anything from tiredness, poor positioning, tightness and many other reasons. I know where the weakness sore spots are and don't worry about them at all. I want to be able to walk and do exercises without pain. I think part of my stress is due to impatience as I have been a long time getting to this stage of recovery. 

    I am enjoying using the walking sticks. I am still working on my coordination but it is coming. I don't walk great distances but hope to add more distance as I get stronger. I will be starting to walk adding in a power pole to the distance every couple of days. I hope to start walking after my next visit to osteopathy. 

    I get the car detailed in 10 days. It will be nice to have it done as I couldn't do it. With it being done, I will keep it cleaner as I can keep up on it in short spurts. 

    I am starting to think how I will be doing things every day. I need to have a plan and schedule to follow. I do one each day but it needs to be done for several days in a row. I need to have a balance in what I am doing at home and when I go out for appointments and to shop. I would like to start going back to the quilt shop and sew one day every other week. I did enjoy that a lot. I need to build in walking and, eventually, going to the exercise classes held at the hospital. I am working on a plan and need to focus on getting it done for more than one day at a time.

Today

I need to clean up the kitchen, unpack my Amazon box so I can start wrapping gifts, finish the binding on the quilt, and do a few other small chores. I am out for dinner at family's tonight so I doubt if I will be knitting. 

Until the next time.........................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment