Monday, September 18, 2023

Seam Allowance Dilemma

 Yesterday started out windy and cloudy and ended up calm and clear. The high got to 21.7C (humidex 27C). This morning it is clear and 11C. We are suppose to have it cloudy this afternoon and wet tonight. The high will get to 22C (humidex 25C).

Lifestyle

I was slow moving yesterday but got some things done. I did get the balance sheet done and I am happy that is done for this week. 

We had a short power outage yesterday morning and it may have been planned. This happens when they restore power to an area. Safety reasons I am assuming. Power was back on in less than 10 minutes. 

I had dinner with family last night. We had pirogies and cabbage rolls. We had a good visit before dinner as daughter-in-law and grandson cleaned out grandson's desk. It was one big purge. We had fun during dinner and I left by 7 pm when they were going to have a Skype call with her parents. 

I went over to see my friend in the evening and she is one very happy lady. Her two children flew on from Ontario to help her celebrate her 70th birthday. It was the first time in a long time she had her three children together. She also won first prize and best of the show for her two wall hangings which she spent hundreds of hours making and quilting. She deserved those big red ribbons. I was really excited that she had the best birthday ever. 

We ended the evening with a short walk so her dog could do her thing business before dark. I did walk with a better gait so hope I am improving. I also realized that I am quite weak. I will have to start working on strength after the next visit to osteopathy and physiotherapy at the end of the month. 

I am over my plateau. I lost 3.7 lbs this week. It was a very long 3 week plateau I had to endure. I have now lost 50.9 lbs and am 6.9 lbs from the doctor's goal. I want to loose more than that though. 

Sewing

I finished the doll's skirt in the morning before I did the balance sheet. I am pleased with how it finished up. 

After lunch I pinned the jean jacket onto the fabric. 

I was going to cut out all the pieces but decided to cut out the back pieces first. I stitched them together doing fake felled seams. The back yoke was a bit small and I wondered what was going on. 

Next up I did the fronts and when they were completed, I realized I had put the center fronts in upside down. I had to cut all new front pieces and resew them. I struggled with the pocket flap placement and the stitch line for the pockets. I was starting to question myself. The front yoke pieces were too short also. It was at this point that I measured the seam allowances on the pattern pieces. All are over 1/4" and even 7mm. Not 3/8" though. 

For the fake felled seams, I serged the seams shut and pressed them in the direction stated in the instructions. To get the stitching lines, I used the presser foot and figured out where on it to put the stitching. The one closest to the seam line was stitched on the outer side and the 2nd row was stitched on the underside. It was trial and error with several rows of top stitching being ripped out and redone. 

I pinned the jacket together at the shoulders and side seams and tried it on the doll. 

It fits well and I will continue on using the seam allowance that I started with. 

I think there is about 3 days left before this will be finished. 

I am questioning why this designer has larger seam allowances than the other designers have. It answers the question as to why some of her patterns fit large on the dolls. I will have to remember to measure the seam allowances on her patterns when I sew them in the future. 

Knitting

None done last night. 

Today

I have to do some housework and laundry. I want to sew on the jean jacket and knit on the doll's coat tonight. I may have to get a few groceries today but am hoping to have enough so I can get them tomorrow after my appointment. 

Until the next time................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment