Sunday, September 10, 2023

Cardinal Cushion Cover Started

 Yesterday was another hot and humid day. The high got to 28.9C (humidex 37C). Once the haze cleared and the sun shone, it seem to be a tiny bit less humid. The heat warning was over by early evening. This morning it is cloudy and 19C. We are to have showers and a high of 26C (humidex 34C). 

Lifestyle

Elliott got an appointment with the vet on Thursday morning. He isn't pay attention to the growth under his chin and when I looked at it again, it is the same colour as his skin. 

I cleaned the kitchen yesterday morning and it was nice to have it clean and tidy. I still need to do the floors but it was time to go outside and brave the humidity. 

I picked a child's sand bucket full of grape tomatoes and topped it with larger ones. I picked 6 cucumbers and 4 peppers. The tomatoes are still ripening, a lot of cucumbers yet to mature and more peppers. Much to my surprise, there are 3 bean plants growing in the box where I had the beans. The weeds are also growing like crazy and I need to deal with them. 

I grabbed the shed key and put the two chairs and large umbrella away. The chairs are awkward to handle but fairly light. The umbrella was heavier but not something I couldn't handle on my own. I just have the bbq to put away, the table to turn over and the planters to empty and store in the shed. 

Son was over to look for a tool and we found it in my stuff. He didn't take it as it doesn't fit in the power tools and he didn't want to break the handle the bit fits in to. I sent him home loaded with tomatoes and peppers. He was telling me Friday's temperature was like they had in Japan. 

The hydrangeas are turning colour and are looking beautiful. I love the ones that turn pink and finally a raspberry colour. This is a "tree" growing in the development behind us. 

A neighbour has ones that are turning blue. I like those also. 

Sewing

I took my hand sewing kit downstairs and put it away. I got out the doll's patterns and put the tub on the floor. I got distracted and started to work on a cushion cover that I will put out at Christmas. 

I did a lot of measuring and fussy cutting to have the cardinals where I wanted them. I had 18" square of fabric that I cut down to 14". I showcased the red and a black fabric against the print and the red won. The black is on the back. I have enough of the red to bind the cushion cover and a wall hanging (which may be a throw on the couch). 

I now need to cut the binding and sew the cushion back and front together. Then it will be hand sewing and done. This project used up .9 meter of fabric. 

The cardinal wall hanging is on the table and I have a tiny bit of sewing to do on it. I am going to fold it up again and think about how to quilt it. I need to see if I have enough batting for it in the stash. Next up is the doll's outfit I have planned. 

Knitting

I brought up the needles for the doll's coat and hatband I want to make. I cast on one sleeve and knit to the under arm. I need to rip it out and start again on larger needles. I didn't have the right tension. I'm out by 1 stitch on the width and 1/2" on the length. I know I can get the tension on the stitches (width) but may have to knit extra rows (length).

Sleeves are a great way to do a tension swatch. Not a lot to rip out. I haven't knit this pattern for a long time and I vaguely remember that I needed to go up a needle size with the yarn I used. Ditto for this yarn. 

Thoughts

    The heat and humidity was energy sapping. The kids came out last night and played on my driveway and in the ditch. It had cooled enough for them to have fun together. I noticed that I had more energy also. 

    The pain level in my hip and knee has eased off. I am resting more and applying heat to the sore areas. I think I am improving though my gait is not where I want it to be. It has improved some. I am going to do the physio exercises on the left side in hopes they will strengthen it. I stopped doing them as it hurt a lot on the right side. 

    My weight has stalled and I am having a plateau. It is annoying as I can't move it no matter what I do. I eat less, more, move around as much as I can and nothing has happened. 

Today

I have the balance sheet to do, floors to wash, bed to change, and deal with the planters on the deck and at the shed. I would like to finish the cushion cover and start the doll's coat again tonight. 

Until the next time...................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment