Monday, September 11, 2023

Cardinal Cushion Cover Completed

 Yesterday was cooler but still humid. The high got to 26.3C (humidex 32C). The sun shone quite a bit though we did have a very sharp rain shower in the afternoon. This morning it is 20C and it has rained during the night. We are to have a mix of sun, rain, thunder, and fog. The high is to get to 23C (humidex 30C). 

Lifestyle

I swept and washed floors yesterday. I also did some laundry and put changed my bed. I was tired due to the fact I had slept poorly the night before. I just wanted to rest most of the day.

I spent a good hour in the garage cleaning up. I moved items around and swept part of the floor. I got slower and slower as the garage heated up and became a humid hot spot. But, I got some of it done. I will continue to work out there every when I have time. 

While cleaning up I spotted an item I had set aside on the table of tools. It belonged to the power tools the Spousal Unit used. I looked at it carefully and it is an adaptor for bits that won't fit directly into the impact driver. I think it was what son was looking for. I played with it for a few minutes and it will go in the cupboard where those tools are kept. Or in my bin of tools on the cupboards. 

I put a lot of heat on my hip and back as it has been sore. It is improving and I noticed I can stand with my weight more evenly distributed on both feet. A first for me in a long time. As I continue to feel better, I need to get stronger so I can walk when it cools off. 

I gained weight -- 1.5 lbs this week. I have to be more careful with snacking at night. I have been trying not to snack and will be carefully monitoring myself. As I feel less pain, I need to move more. I haven't been moving a lot since my treatment. I've been doing a lot of heat and resting. I need to be more active now. 

Sewing

I got the patterns out for the doll's top and skirt. I have just enough of the print for the top. I didn't look at the fabric for the skirt and jean jacket. Fingers crossed I have enough for both of them. 

I folded up the wall hanging and set it aside. I need time to think about how I will quilt it. I have the backing and binding. I didn't look to see if I had enough batting. 

I sewed the binding for the cardinal cushion cover. I did straight seams where I joined and they are more bulky than the diagonal seams I usually do. I was worried I wouldn't have enough fabric. I had this much fabric left over. 

Those are in the scrap bin though I won't be giving them away yet. I may need them for the wall hanging. 

I hand sewed the binding down on the cushion cover. It took 2 hours to do. I didn't want to see any thread on the front and had to take out sections when I discovered it. It is done and that is one more project off my list. 

Knitting

I brought up bigger needles and did the sleeve again. I am closer to the gauge this time. I need to use 5.0 and 5.5 mm needles for this outfit. I am going to call it a bulky weight coat. 

I will try again tonight with bigger needles. 

Thoughts

    I am pleased with my progress in my leg. I still can't stand for long periods of time as it hurts a lot on the right side. I will be trying to do more each day so that I can build strength on the left side. I am hoping to be able to walk with a proper gait this fall. 

    I have been quite happy to play in the stash this past month. I have been watching some videos on sewing rooms and I see that I want to have less in the room than most people. I know each of us is different when it comes to how much we want or can handle. I am seeing that my vision is changing from sewing up fabric to taking my time to being more precise which means more hand basting. I also am trying out new techniques and am having fun with that. I am starting to realize that it isn't sewing down 100 meters a year but making items that are professional looking. I am excited to sew this way. 

    I need to get back to cleaning the sewing room. Now that I have a vision of what I want to do, I need to clean the room and organize more of my "stuff". I also need to buy a few things - a light for over the sewing machine and a book for pattern making. I am going to enjoy this room for as long as possible. 

Today

Daughter-in-law and I are going to harvest and freeze the carrots. If we have time, we will work in the garage, if not, I am fine with that. I don't know if I will sew or if I will only knit tonight. 

Until the next time.................................................................

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful sewing machine lights: https://www.inspiredled.com/product/sewing-machine-led-lighting-kit/
    It makes a world of difference when sewing. I don't know why sewing machine companies don't incorporate bright lighting into the machines.

    ReplyDelete