Tuesday, September 12, 2023

A Huge Haul of Carrots

 Yesterday was warm and muggy. There was a shower mid afternoon but it wasn't much. Just added to the mugginess. The high got to 24.1C (humidex 32C). This morning it is 19C. We are to have showers, sunshine, and, possibly a thunderstorm. The high is to get to 23C (humidex 28C). 

Lifestyle

I was out to pull carrots before 9 a.m. The first row filled the tub I had. I had them topped and most peeled before daughter-in-law arrived at 9:30 a.m. She cut carrots and blanched them while I made 2 more trips out to pull more carrots and prep them for her. 

The bowl was filled three times to overfull. We ended up with 14 bags for family and 10 for me. We feel there was about 15 - 20 lbs of carrots. The best carrots ever grown in our garden. 

I had quite the set back yesterday. When I picked up a piece of ice off the floor, I had a major amount of pain hit my hip and knee. I hobbled to a chair and sat for a bit to ease the pain. I don't know what I did but I must have twisted my right hip wrong when I bent down. I did get up and help finish the carrots and clean up. I was slow moving but I got it done.  

Once done, daughter-in-law and I walked the garden. We checked the jalapeño peppers and talked about what I will do next year in the boxes. Less cucumbers for sure as they are loaded. More jalapeño peppers. Moving plants around and fertilizing the boxes before the end of the month. 

I sat for quite a while with heat on my sore areas when I was alone. I did get up and go visit my friend and was stiff when I got up to come home. I put more heat on until bed time. I slept well and have way less soreness today. 

I lost 1.3 lbs yesterday. It was a combination of movement, eating correctly, and loosing fluid I had in my system. I will continue to eat and move in hopes I can loose the next 1.5 lbs before I see the doctor. I so want to say I have lost 50 lbs. 

Sewing

I didn't sew yesterday. I was tired and I needed to see my friend as I am going to embroider a label for her wall hanging. 

The lights Carol mentioned in the comments are wonderful. Everyone I know who has them love them. I have decided to go with this light as I can move it to where I need it; both sewing machines and my small table. 

My friend lent me the book she used when she learned pattern making. It is a good book but it seems like they used a basic pattern to start with. I will continue reading the book to learn what I can. I will order the book I want for my Christmas present this year. 

I am trying to put together a plan to clean the book case/yarn storage section of the room. My big issue is that Elliott has decided to nap on the chair in that area. I will have to work around him which is always fun. 

Knitting

I brought up more needles and started again. I am now using 5.0 and 5.5 mm needles and got the tension correct. I am shocked as I didn't think I knit that tight. Upon looking, this yarn is exactly the weight of the yarn I am using. I am not worrying as I now have tension and the first sleeve is now knit. 

Today

I am heading out to New Minas with daughter-in-law this morning. I have to drop paper work off to get a new cPap machine and then we are going to do 4 or 5 other stores. I would like to design the label for my friend's wall hanging and start cutting out the doll's outfit. I will knit tonight. 

Until the next time..................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment