Thursday, September 14, 2023

I'm Ready

 Yesterday was warm and muggy. We had sun, rain, humidity, and a high of 24.8C (humidex 32C). This morning it has rained and is 20C (humidex 27C). We are to have showers and a high of 23C (humidex 30C).

Lifestyle

We are under a tropical storm alert and will experience rain and winds according to the reports we are receiving. It will hit the west end of the province (Yarmouth) harder than us. 

Daughter-in-law arrived and after we drank our tea/coffee, we headed out to the garage. While she sorted the tools on the table, I swept and tidied up the area where the tub is. As she put items away, I swept and tidied in other areas. By the time she was done, I was done most of the sweeping. She swept while I put away the tables. Other than 2 packing boxes that need sweeping off and 3 bags of returns to the bottle depot, the car can be parked in the garage. 

Once done the garage, we moved outside and pulled flowers from pots and put the pots into the wagon. Those we hauled up to the shed. The decorations were put in the garage as I will put them out again after the storm. We moved to the back of the house and cleaned off the deck, put away the hanging basket, rain gauge, and pulled flowers from the tubs. Tomatoes and cucumbers were picked and we called it done. I am hurricane ready. Daughter-in-law headed home to do a couple of things in their yard and I took tomatoes and cucumbers over to the neighbour. Both of us were tired from moving quickly. It took us just about an hour to do. 

The lawn got mowed yesterday and it was thick and long. At least it won't be a hay field if it had been left for another week. 

I was out to get a few groceries to hold me over the storm. I am prepared for if the power goes off. If the power goes off, we get it restored first as we are on what is called the hospital grid. 

I was tired last night and quite sore. I used heat a lot on my back and left hip. I will have to watch it and alternate walking and sitting so it can rest and feel better. It needs to be strengthened also. 

Sewing

I did sew yesterday and didn't make any mistakes. A first for me as I was tired. I cut out the top and skirt only and started to sew the top. I did some marking on the top for the neckline. I need to work on that as I did what I would call a "poor" job. The top neckline and armholes were sewn together and pinned ready for hand basting prior to pressing. 

I also spent time getting the label designed to my satisfaction. Once done, I chose a thread and did a test label. It took over an hour to stitch out and I am pleased with it. 


I took it like that over to my friend who fell in love with it. My evening's work was to cut the threads on the front and back and tear away the stabilizer. It is now done and ready to deliver. I will be making her another label once the storm has passed and will make her more as time goes on. These are easy to make. 

I have been doing long distance sewing help with daughter. She is making a jacket for a rodeo queen. I made the jacket several times and the instructions are poor. She should be done it today. When she took out the pattern to start, she found that I had traced every size. That tells me I made the pattern at least 3 times. 

Knitting

None done last night. I worked on the label. I need to get a charging station set up so I can plug in the iPad (patterns on it) and phone while I knit. Right now, the heating pad uses the plug in for the charger. 

Thoughts

    I briefly remember that is was my mom's birthday yesterday and she would have been 100 years old. 

    I am surprised at how little people in our area are preparing for the storm. I'm hearing it will be wet and windy, nothing to really worry about. The province is preparing for the storm and I am glad I have prepared for it also. I know it won't be like Hurricane Fiona, thank goodness, but I am prepared for the high winds and rain they say this storm will bring. 

    The tire pressure light came on and I went to get the tires checked and filled yesterday afternoon. The front tires are still in great condition but the back tires are wearing. I will need new tires next year. I am wondering if the backs are the original tires on the car and are there due to them being rotated. I am thankful for the person who told me this. 

    I will be sewing as much as possible during the storm. If the power goes out, I will knit. I am going to print out the pattern so I won't drain the battery on the iPad. I will keep my phone charged via the computer and battery pack if the power goes out. 

Today

I have to take Elliott to the vet this morning. This afternoon I plan on sewing and I hope to knit tonight. I do have a bit of food prep to do today in preparation for the storm. 

Until the next time............................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment