Wednesday, March 01, 2023

A Morning of Shopping

 Yesterday had both sunshine and clouds. It wasn't a dull day though. The high got to -3.1C, which was warmer than expected. This morning it is -7C, we've had some snow and about an inch is expected during the day. The high is to get to 0C. We are under another snow warning. They say we could have up to 10" of snow fall Thursday night and Friday morning. 

Lifestyle

I had a busy morning taking grandson to physio and then to school. I headed out to New Minas to do my thing. I did my shopping at 2 stores before heading to sign in to renew my driver's license. That was easy and I stressed for nothing. I hit the link, it took me to a web page, I signed in, got a number and they were calling my number before I got in the door. I was out the door before my actual appointment time. Very, very easy. It was on to the quilt shops.

I was tired when I got home. I had done all my shopping without using the cane though I did push shopping carts. I walked around without the carts looking at things and by the time I left the last store with my knee and hips were sore from being on them a lot. But they weren't sore like they were before. More like a tired sore. I am improving.

Sewing

I was to both quilting stores and made a huge dent in the bank account. I got the fabric, batting, interfacing, and notions I needed. I am set for about 6-8 weeks of sewing though I will need more fabric for 2 bags. But, I can sew 3 bags and then only have to get the fabric for the others. I also got fabrics for Elliott's quilt and will use the remaining fabrics for walker bags. 

The first bag is one that has been auctioned off. We decided to use this strip of dog fabric and I chose navy to go with it. 

I laundered the fabrics and pressed them with starch. The perfume in the starch is not one I like but I do like starched fabrics. Though well pressed with a dry iron, it looked wrinkly.  

I cut the piece to 10.75" high and then cut it into 2 - 20" pieces. I cut interfacing the same size and dry ironed attached them. I was amazed at how nice they turned out when I was done giving them their final press. 

I am totally sold on adding the interfacing to the fabric when making items that need a stiffer interfacing added to them. I will be adding deco bond interfacing to the bag when the pieces are sewn together. A new technique learned.

The navy piece is starched and pressed. The first thing I will do is make the handles. They will be interfaced also. Then I will cut the top and bottom pieces of the bag, interface them and sew them on to the dog fabric. The deco bond interfacing will be added after that. I have a feeling I have enough of the navy fabric for a 2nd bag. Hurrah as I have the perfect panel of dogs that daughter sent me. I have lining in the stash for these 2 bags.

I deconstructed the mint pair of panties and cut out the pattern. At that point I called it a day as I had been up and down on my feet for almost 3 hours in the sewing room. 

Knitting

I finished the body of the doll's sweater last night. 

I was too tired to pick up the stitches for the first sleeve. With my luck, I would have lost a stitch or something else more devastating. 

Thoughts

    I had said I wasn't going to have an inventory of interfacing and batting but I went and did do it. I have a lot of items to sew in the next couple of months that require those items and I didn't want to be running out when I needed them. Most of this will be gone before I know it. 

    Though I was tired when I got home, I was happy to know that I could do more than a couple of stores before having to call it a day. My gait is still not correct but it has improved a lot. With time and effort, I am hoping it will become normal and I can walk more without getting tired. Practice, exercise, and persistence will be the name of the game. 

Today

I have to watch the weather and plan on when to go out to shovel snow. Probably around noon as this storm is to be gone by then. I hope to do some housework and after I shovel, I will sew some on the bag and some on the doll's panties. I will continue to knit tonight. I'm prepared to stay home for the next several days. 

Until the next time.........................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment