Sunday, March 26, 2023

A Day Of Shopping and Sewing

 Yesterday was a nicer day with the sun shining more than expected. The high got to 4C and there wasn't a lot of wind. This morning, it is -1C and it is snowing lightly. The snow will turn to rain later today. The high is to get to 2C.

Lifestyle

I stood strong and watched less tv yesterday. It was a good choice as I slept well last night -- 7 hours without waking up and then dozing after that. 

I did a lot of quiet thinking as I am becoming aware of a lot of things lately. It is awakening things I had forgotten about myself. I'll probably think about them more and then put them back to bed. 

I did go shopping and it was a craft/sewing run. In the last store, I talked to two ladies about the Cricut as they want one. I was home by noon which was great. 

Sewing/Crafts

My shopping trip included buying more spice jars. I am done for now as I need to decide on how to deal with the bigger packages of spices. That will include looking in different stores to see what they have. 

My other craft stop was at the big craft store. I got more vinyl for projects along with a new blade for the Cricut. I also got some card stock for playing with. I'm still in learning mode. 

I also went to the two quilt shops. At the first one I got more of the light green for Elliott's quilt plus two pieces for the dolls. 

The coral is for a skirt and the white is for a historical dress. 

At the second quilt shop, I got fabric for a grinch bag or two. One will have vinyl ironed onto them. The other could have embroidery on it. 

I also got two pieces from the Christmas carts as they were what I wanted and on sale. 

The blue is for a table runner and I got the plank fabric for the stash. I need it for more projects I have planned. I bought what was left on the bolt. 

While eating lunch, I watched this video on how to sew the blocks together on Elliott's quilt. I wanted to make sure I was going to do it correctly. 

After lunch, I went down to the sewing room and started sewing. I did the test strip for a scant 1/4" and got it on the first try. I then pushed myself to chain sew all the rectangles together and press the seams. I measured each one to make sure they were the right size. I then sewed them onto the squares using the chain method and pressed them. When I measured the blocks, two needed to be picked apart, trimmed, and sewn together again. 

I was tired when I got done as sewing this way is not my preferred method. It goes quicker than my method but my brain was fighting it all the way. It was good for me mentally to step outside of my comfort zone. I will continue to do this method for the quilt and try to do it for other quilts. 

Knitting

I finished the body of the sweater and it turned out quite nice. I need to bring up bigger needles to knit the sleeves. 

I don't think I have enough yarn for a 2nd sweater so I will probably make a hat to go with this sweater. I was going to put on some gorgeous buttons but am thinking I will go with plain grey ones. I think the gorgeous buttons need a plain sweater to showcase them. 

Thoughts

    I am so surprised I slept well last night as I was thinking a lot. I watched the video on selling your crafts and nope, nope, nope. I'm either not ready to do it or don't want to do it. If I chose to sell, I will figure it out my way. 

    I also thought (and told two ladies I was talking to) about not choosing one person/website to learn from. I know from experience that we need a variety of people/websites to learn from. We may choose one over another as the top person/site. I for one like to learn from a variety of people. They all meet my needs in one way or another. One video may teach you something no other videos you've found does. It is the same for print material. I've found that out in sewing and knitting and now with the Cricut. I am a visual and tactile (see and do) learner. I am also a person who does better learning on my own though I have learned successfully in a classroom situation. As long as I can see and do in the classroom I will learn. 

    I am behind on housework so this coming week I need to focus on it in the mornings. I have to take grandson to school two mornings and get groceries one morning. Otherwise my mornings will be cleaning and scrubbing. I need to get caught up so I can start under the stairs. I need to get ready to start working outside of the house. 

Today

I have to do the balance sheet and then it will be cutting out the last spice labels and, maybe, the Grinch Christmas tree. In the afternoon, I want to cut out the squares for the quilt and continue sewing on it. Tonight I will knit. It is a stay at home day for me. 

Until the next time.......................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment