Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Block By Block Quilting

 Yesterday was a mix of sun and clouds with a high of 5.9C. This morning it is -2C and it has snowed. The high is to get to 7C and there is to be a mix of sun and clouds.

Lifestyle

Yesterday I went shopping shortly after breakfast. I am still trying to find things with the new layout. I got everything I needed and shouldn't need to shop again for 10 days. 

In the afternoon, I got Elliott his food and then went for a short drive. I needed to get out for a drive in the sunshine. It was nice to do that.

I cancelled my physio appointment for next week. I am doing well and just need to exercise my hip and knee. Both need to be strengthened over time. I will go back if it flares up again. 

Sewing

I had a good workout in the sewing room yesterday. I cut all the backing and batting squares for Elliott's quilt. I then started laying the top pieces onto the backing and batting. I stitched in the ditch around the printed square and then did an organic trail around the inside. 

At this point I am doing each square to this point for two reasons:

    I sew very slow when doing stitch in the ditch so the stitches are basically hidden. Doing 9 in a row would not be fun due to the intensity of going slow and careful. 

    While I have the block under the needle why not do the quilted part. It is the interesting part and gives my brain a rest from stitching in the ditch.

I got 4 of the 9 blocks done. 

I am still deciding on what I want to do for the rest of the quilt. Probably straight lines. Or nothing once I stitch in the ditch between the light and dark teal. I wait and see as I don't do any more quilting until each row is sewn together and then when when it is all sewn together. This is a step by step process. 

Knitting

I finished the doll's hat and had yarn left over. I also got the buttons on the doll's sweater and hat. 


I used buttons from the stash which have been hoarded for almost 30 years. 

These buttons were for a project that I will never make so I am using them up. 

I also started another messy bun hat. These projects are keeping my hands busy at night. 

Thoughts

    After 9 days of staying the same weight, I lost 1.1 lbs. My body did need the rest from loosing weight and I changed up my diet a bit hoping to kick start it back to loosing. It worked.

    I am still in a bad mood when working on Elliott's quilt. It isn't a nice feeling but I am doing what I want regardless of what others think. It has given me hives which I am treating and trying to relax about how I am feeling. It is very different than what most people but it is something I want to do to see if this is how I will quilt. I want to quilt but need to find my niche which isn't free motion quilting. 

Today

I have to take grandson to school this morning and then I am off to the optometrist. Daughter-in-law is taking me as I will have dilating drops put in. Still on the fence if I am going to get new frames and lenses or if only new lenses. I will do some things when home but I can't do a lot of anything that requires using my eyes until late this afternoon. I will see what gets done and what doesn't. Quilting is out but I may sweep the sewing room floor. I do hope to knit tonight but only a limited amount. 

Until the next time.....................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment