Monday, March 27, 2023

One Quilt Block Completed

 Yesterday was dull, grey, and dark. There was snow, rain, and wind and the high got to 2.9C. This morning it is -1C and we could have a mix of sun and clouds and a high of 6C.

Lifestyle

I did the balance sheet yesterday morning and it took me 10 minutes to find a stupid mistake. I only have to grocery shop and pay for one part of my eye exam and either new frames or just lenses left to pay for this month. 

A load of laundry was done and the kitchen was tidied up and I called it a day for housework. I am trying not to do housework on Sunday. I am going to have to focus on it all this coming week.

Sewing/Crafting

I played a couple of hours on the Cricut. I got the last of the smaller spice jars labeled.

I used the free svg files from this website. As I was learning, I followed her directions carefully and did the design page many times. As I got better and learned more, I figured out a few tricks. 

One thing I learned was to ungroup, pull the spice names I wanted to one area and hide the remaining names. That way I only cut the names I wanted. 

I used smart vinyl for the project (Joy Circuit size) and put it on a mat. I had to cut out each name twice which is okay. Weeding it was okay. Putting the name onto transfer paper was hard. No matter what I did, I had to keep burnishing it with the tool, the weeding tool and the spatula. I'm not sure if it was the vinyl or the transfer paper or if it was the Cricut brand. I will not use smart vinyl again but get the everyday permanent vinyl. Another learning curve. In all, I am happy with my first vinyl project. 

I played with iron on vinyl again using a different brand of vinyl. I got Siser brand and I like it. I did a heart and pressed it on a piece of fabric. 

I am ready to do the vinyl on a gift bag next Sunday. 

After lunch I sewed on Elliott's quilt. I made 1 square to get the finished measurement (12.5"). I struggled getting the corners to match but finally got it. 


After that was done, I cut out the remaining 14 squares of each fabric and made them into half triangle squares. I used my new ceramic pen to draw the lines and it was wonderful to put the edge of the foot on the line and sew. I cut on the line, pressed and they are ready to be trimmed. 

I was quite sore when I left the sewing room as I stood a lot on my feet cutting and pressing. 

I am finding the teal fabrics fray a lot and will have to trim all the long threads on the back of the blocks. I'll do that while I watch tv. 

Knitting

I finished the sweater and need to get buttons for it. I am going to look in the button box first to see if I have grey or pewter buttons. 

I am going to knit a hat to go with the sweater as I don't have enough yarn for another one. I am ready to cast on the stitches tonight. 

I am thinking of getting this pattern off Etsy. 

I know what yarn I want to use and will knit on it over several months.

Today

I have to take grandson to school shortly. I am going to do housework this morning and work on Elliott's quilt this afternoon. Tonight I will knit on the doll's hat. I plan on having a quiet day at home getting the housework caught up. 

Until the next time............................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment