Thursday, February 01, 2024

Thoughts About January's Plan

I spent some time thinking about the goals I set for January. Were they unrealistic? Not obtainable? Did they make me feel miserable? The answer was no. It was a challenge that I wanted to see if I could do happily and without regrets. I wasn't unhappy and I learned a lot about myself. 

What Was Great

    It didn't bother me to stop shopping in stores and start shopping in my house. It wasn't just in the stash of fabrics and craft supplies but in the pantry and freezer. I did buy mainly food during the month but tried to use up what I had before replacing it. I found a few things I had forgotten I had bought. Will be using them up even if just to cook the bacon and freeze it in small baggies to use as garnish on some foods. 

    Using fabrics and trims from the stash was easy. I decided to cut out the projects on my list and sew them when I needed a break from Elliott's cardinal quilt. I am not a person who likes half finished projects lying around but having the ability to work an afternoon on a project that is cut out was satisfying. 

    I struggled a bit more with paper crafts. I had a hard time figuring out what I wanted to do on the pages of the journal. Part of that was not preplanning my ideas and part is lack of experience in making this journal. Another part is wanting to make other things which I need to work into my schedule. I didn't need to purchase any items in January which was nice. I have realized that you can do things with what you have. 

    I did buy a year's subscription to sew something different each month for the dolls. I enjoyed sewing the track suit and learned a few new tricks. I used up what I had on hand for it which wasn't hard to figure out. 

What was bothersome in January

    I found that I did have a few negative thoughts from being by myself so much. Most are self worth issues that plague me. I know the cause of it but can't seem to get over it entirely. It usually happens when I do something that is very different than other people do. There have been some comments in a store when I have shown my work and they don't understand what I am doing and I take it as criticism. I need to get over that but it's hard to do. 

    The advertising to buy products that came through emails and websites like Facebook and Instagram. I could feel the tug to go shopping and had to talk myself out of going several times. 

    I watched a lot of crafting videos and had to slow down on that. It was another pull to go shopping that I didn't need. I watched other types of videos instead. The one video I watched daily was on making an ideas book. I had no desire to make one but watched as some of the ideas are neat and I can use them in the journal using what I have. 

    Not making to-do lists for crafting was bothersome as I lacked focus on what I needed to make. I realized that I need to make lists for everything I do -- house, yard, sewing, and crafts. It is the only way I keep up on things. I am not the only one who does this. I find it keeps chaos at bay and it kept me focused to stay home. 

What's For February

    I am going to continue using what I have in February when sewing. I have got into the groove of looking in the stash when planning projects. I have 3 projects to make when I need a break from working on the larger cardinal quilt. It helps keep sewing fresh and exciting.

    Make a list of what I need to do craft wise. I need to take my book downstairs and sit in my craft area and think, look and plan. I find that I do enjoy doing a bit of paper crafting most days so need to be organized for that. 

    Buy a few craft items (budgeting an amount) so I can do a few things I want to do for the craft bazaar. It is my treat for being so good after Jan. 5. I have made a list of what I want to buy for me - new runners, rice steamer, and meat knife and have a good idea what I want from the craft store. 

    I want to stay at home as much as possible to get a lot done sewing, crafting, and housework. I have lots of appointments this month (one to two each week) for my hip but I also need to get out and visit or do something different a couple of afternoons during the month. 

Here is to having a "Use What You Have" February. 

No comments:

Post a Comment