Thursday, February 22, 2024

Laughter Is Good Medicine

 Yesterday was lovely and sunny with a high of -3.6C. This morning it is cloudy and -12C. We are to have clouds with a bit of sun and a high of 1C. 

Lifestyle

I was out most of yesterday doing things. I went with my friend to the quilt shop in New Minas and we had a wonderful time in the shop looking around. I bought fabric. 

My first piece is the top one in the picture. This is for the 3 yard quilt I am going to make next. I am deciding on the size of this quilt as I have a meter of plain fabric that goes with this combination. I may use the new print for borders. We wait and see when the time comes.  

This quilt will be backed with a minky type of fabric and done on the long arm.

The second piece I bought is for the Irish chain quilt. It is a William Morris print that sat for ages in the shop and in the last 2 months has been a bit more popular. I bought what I needed before it disappears.

I will be looking for the white to go with it. This quilt will be on my bed. I am not sure what it will be backed with but it too will be done on the long arm. 

The last piece of fabric is to make daughter more piping. I fell in love with it. 

My friend spent time looking for her fabric so I talked with one of the employees. She and the crew had wondered where I had disappeared to and I told her I was either at home or at appointments. I am going to take part in the Linus Project in the spring as I think it will be fun to join in. I may go to the shop once a month to sew on little projects like I did last year. I did enjoy that time out. 

Once done, my friend and I decided to have lunch. We went to a small community on our way home to an eatery called The Noodle Hut. It is the only one that we know of. It is in an old building that has been lovingly done up. Most of the table were filled and the food smelled delicious. I had chicken spaghetti and it was divine. I will go back there again as the food has remained consistent over the years my friend said. She goes at least once a year with quilting friends. 

Once home, I grabbed some fabric and was down to my friend's house to help her out with the goat wall hanging. She needed fabrics for the fence and wasn't sure the piece she had bought was the right one. It was in the end. We ended up tea and coffee dying a bit of it, thread painting on it and laughing until we were in tears. The laughing was certainly good medicine for both of us. 

I got home at 3:30 pm and my friend continued to work on the fence. She ended up not dying the fabric but thread painting it. It looks like a weathered fence board. 

I did not knit last night. I was tired from sleeping in a warm house and a busy day. Not doing anything was just what I needed and I slept well last night. 

Thoughts

     I talked openly about how I was depressed to my friend. She has found she has been feeling low this past month also. Mostly because some of her days out have been cancelled for one reason or another. Mine may have been from being at home too much also. I plan on trying to get out some each week now. 

    I also think some of my depression was caused by having a flare up in my hip and knee. The start of the depression was further deepened by being sore and upset that I was sore. It sort of rolled all together and ended up with me being where I was. 

    I had another thinking spell last night about sewing, crafting and knitting. I will finish up the quilts I want to make over the next couple of years. I want to sew up the fabric I have in the stash as it is important for me to have very little fabric on hand. But, I am going to start sewing once or twice a month away from home. I want to go to the quilt shop and make fun little things like wine bottle bags in another environment. Have my lunch at the shop and visit with others. I want to take part in the Linus Project even if I only hand sew binding down on the quilts. 

    I was shocked when I was asked how the cardinal quilts were coming along. I told the person and she was excited that I am making progress on them. I didn't expect her to remember the quilts as she is a busy person teaching classes, selling sewing machines, and helping people find fabric. The young man who cut my fabric remembers my projects also and we chat about the William Morris fabrics all the time. He is one creative person who helps everyone in the shop. 

    I have created a bit of a plan in my head for the next week. I will work on the quilt but I am going to cut out one more wine bottle bag to sew and finish up the bags that need ribbon attached to them. I also want to design the bags I have to make for daughter. The fabric is printed and was shipped yesterday. My friend gave me some fabric for one of the bags -- expensive faux suede that I have used to make rodeo queen dresses from. 

    Donna, I still have anxiety with the fabric I have in the stash. It is all fabric I want to keep as I got rid of 60 meters last year. Most of my anxiety is about not sewing it up fast enough. I also have anxiety about the fabric that is coming in as I really don't want to add too much to the stash. The fabric I bought yesterday is for planned projects but I am trying not to acquire fabric to sit on the shelf for long periods of time. 

Today

I want to do a bit of yoga this morning. Daughter-in-law and I leave around 10:15 for osteopathy and then to get a few things. I will have a bit of time at home before I go to family's for grandson's birthday dinner. I may knit tonight if I have time.

Until the next time.....................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment