Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Taking Time To Think and Process

 Yesterday the sun shone all day. The high got to -6.3C. This morning it is clear and -19C. We are to have more sunshine and a high of -3C today. 

Lifestyle

My first job of the morning was to clean the bathroom. I still curse the toilet paper fluff but now know why it sheds so much. The formula has been changed so it will be better for septic tanks. The job took a bit of time as I did a good job of cleaning and wiped the fluff out of the big soaker tub (that is never used). The floors were mopped and I was happy with how nice it looked. 

Next I was out the door to pay the utility bill. The lady who waited on me is from norther BC and I found out she lived in Fort St. John while I lived in Dawson Creek. We chatted a few minutes and I left to get grandson's gift. I headed home after that. 

I have an appointment with the nutritionist at the Wellness Center on Mar. 4. I haven't seen her in 9 months though she knows how I am doing. I expect she wants to check in and update my file. I don't know if I will see her in another 9-12 months or if this will be the last visit. I see the Wellness Center's physiotherapist every 3-6 months as she is the person who compiles what I am doing for my hip and knee. She is also taking information on my strength, etc. for a study. 

With the cold coming in, I took the time to turn up the heat pump to 74F. I also moved a bunch of furniture and put the living room drapes on the window sill. I turned on the baseboard heat in case the heat pump stopped working during the coldest part of the night. By 5 pm I was puffing and sweating as the house was so warm. I turned down the heat to cool off. I left the heat on at 68F all night and slept poorly as the bedroom was too warm. I didn't even turn the heat on in there. I will turn off the baseboard heaters this afternoon and just use the heat pump. The cold spell will be gone by then. 

Sewing and Crafts

I sat in the family room and hand sewed the 48" seam on the quilt. It took a while but I passed the time thinking and watching videos. Once done, I machine stitched down the long seam and then did the vertical seams that needed to be done. I am ready to quilt that section. 

One of the grey blocks on that row is a bit wonky. I left it as it is the result of the frustration and sadness I was feeling when sewing that row. I am sure it will be noticeable but I don't care. 

I stopped at that point as I had to get the house ready for the cold weather. I took the dolls off their stand, pulled it out so I could turn on the baseboard heat in the sewing room. 

Knitting

I knit on the gusset of the first sock last night. I had to unknit a row to get my head around when I decrease. Once I had that figured out, I was on a roll. 

The first two rounds are the hardest as I get into the rhythm of decreasing and handling so many stitches on the back of the sock. It will now be easy to keep going and it will get easier as the number of stitches become less. 

Thoughts

    I am feeling better mentally. I have decided not to care what others think and to ignore what is being suggested. I enjoy how I do things and that is what counts. Thanks Donna for reminding me of that. I am at an age where I should be enjoying what I do not worrying about what others say. 

    As I sat and hand stitched, I did a lot of thinking. I will be doing my own thing my way and not be accountable to others except for family. Several times I asked myself the question - will I continue quilting which seems to cause me the most stress? Yes, but not like I have been. I will not make quilts one after the other but take breaks between them and while doing them. I will make quilt tops and send them out to be quilted. The quilt as you go is an intensive way to make a quilt; more intense than piecing a quilt top. I also want to make an easy quilt and then a more difficult one so that I don't burn out. That has been tickling in my mind the last 24 - 48 hours. 

    The other thing I need to review is the pressure I am putting on myself to sew down the stash. Yes, I want to have no stash. Yes, I would like to sew 50+ meters this year. But, I need to work on a less stressful approach to meeting those goals. I need less rigid timelines and add more simple projects in to the mix which I can work on one day a week. I have enjoyed those projects as they give me time away from quilting. 

Today

My goal today is to do yoga as I am mentally ready to do it. I want to clean the front landing, and stairs. I should launder blankets and tidy up the living room. I have to take recycling out to the curb this afternoon. I want to work on the quilt with hopes of getting the quilting done. I want to knit on the socks tonight.  

Until the next time...............................................................

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:06 PM

    Hope you are feeling better today. My stash was giving me anxiety too. I sew clothes so there are some good size pieces in there. I have fabric from when Walmart had a fabric dept. too many years ago to count. I went through the stash and filled bags of fabric to give Tom value Village. I no longer work so my wardrobe doesn’t need a lot of dressier stuff. Pains me to give away fabric but I do feel better with some of it gone. There is hope for us yet, lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:07 PM

    That last not was from me, Donna Wicks. I forgot to add my name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:07 PM

    Not should have read note. I’ll be ok. Lol

    ReplyDelete