Sunday, July 24, 2022

First Picking Of Beans

 Yesterday was another hot day. The high got to 32.9C (91F) with a humidex of 37C (99F). The humidity was lower yesterday afternoon which did help but it was hot. This morning it is 17C and sunny. We are to have a high of 33C with a humidex of 40C. 

Lifestyle

Yesterday was calm and relaxing. The Spousal Unit was in a delight to be with. He was excited about the garden and kept telling me he has done such a good job of caring for it. I kept validating that he'd done a good job. 

We picked beans yesterday. We gave some to our neighbors and kept enough for a big meal for us last night. 

After picking them, I suggest we fertilize the garden before I watered it. We went into the shed to see if there was some fertilizer there but not what we wanted. While the Spousal Unit went into the garage to get it, I scooped up some junk and snuck it into the garbage. It is offically gone. The garden was fertilized and I watered it with a sprinkler. I also hand watered the flowers.

After lunch, we had a short nap, and a short drive. When we came home he was upset thinking someone had pruned the hedge. I suggested we go inside to eat our ice cream and then look when done. By the time the ice cream was eaten the hedge issue was forgotten. 

We had a lovely dinner and the beans were delicious. I steamed them and tossed them in butter, salt, pepper, and some onion powder. The Spousal Unit ate well all day. 

On the up side, there was no pacing inside or outside, no checking for "stolen" items or yelling at me. He was relaxed when he was inside sitting in his chair talking my ear off. Outside, he checked the plants to see how things were progressing. He wanted to pick beans two or three times yesterday. The agitation is minimal and he is feeling better mentally. 

The heat has us exhausted and we tried to stay inside as much as possible. I'm wanting cooler nights and some rain. The Spousal Unit wants it cooler also so he can sit outside on the deck. I agree with him. 

We are restless when sleeping. Our bedroom is the warmest room in the house even with the a/c on. The cool air can't flow in there. I have a fan running on high all the time which blows cool air over us. Thank goodness it is quiet. In the winter, the bedroom is the coolest room which is okay as we like it cool. 

Sewing

I didn't sew yesterday as I wanted to enjoy the time with the Spousal Unit. He was more important.

Thoughts

 Getting into the shed made me realize how much has to be purged out of there. I am hoping I can put on the lime and fertilizer on the lawn this fall when it is cooler. The bag of fertilizer that isn't slow release will be put into the garden boxes over the next several years. I can put it on in the late fall so it can be absorbed over winter. 

The miniature garden items will come up onto the deck. I will put them on the two small tables we have. I will ask our friends if they want the square table on the deck for their covered patio. There is a lot of things to sort through from canning stuff to garden tools to insecticides and herbicides. What will I do with a dolly which hasn't been used for 3 years? Storage tubs with holes drilled in the bottoms? That is what I saw in the few minutes I was in the shed. 

Today

It is the Spousal Unit's 77th birthday. We will be having his birthday dinner at family's. I have to do a load of laundry and water the garden. I would like to do one column on the quilt but that remains to be seen. It is important to visit with the Spousal Unit and enjoy our time together. 

Until the next time...............................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment