Friday, December 31, 2021

End Of The Year Thoughts

 2021 is coming to an end and I sat thinking about the year. The first thought that came to me was that I never thought I'd be making lots of masks again in December.

Covid is raging around us. I got use to navigating stores with the Delta variant. Since Omicron, I have felt paralyzed with fear and anxiety. Staying at home seems to be the only option at the moment. It certainly is taking its toll on us mentally. 

I had gotten my IBS under control and it is somewhat out of control once again. I have had quite a few stress and anxiety attacks since the beginning of December. 

But all wasn't doom and gloom. We spent a lot of time outside in our yard, enjoyed the deck, and visited people within our small social bubble. 

I did a lot of sewing and knitting this year. Staying closer to home allowed me to spend many afternoons in the sewing room or on the couch. It was good to have something to distract me. 

Sewing

I ran the gamete on sewing. I did some embroidery on and off during the year. Not a lot but I enjoyed what I did. I made piping for daughter. It was my go to when I wanted something easy to make when between projects. 

I continued to test patterns once a month and still haven't been rotated out. Though the dolls still bring me joy, they haven't been the main focus this year. I hope to do more for them in 2022. 

I bought a new sewing machine in March and I love this machine. I wanted to learn how to do free motion quilting but I had a couple of mental blocks and need to start again in 2022. 

I learned how to sew knit fabric with my new machine. Sewing knits was beyond difficult on the Diamond due to the feed dogs and plate. The new machine has interchangeable feed dogs and plates. I did doll clothes and, when done, I was thrilled with what I had accomplished. 

Christmas sewing took over the fall sewing time. I made a wide variety of items which included pot holders, hot pads, quilts, mixer cover, reusable grocery bags, and pyjama pants. The lesson learned - start sewing Christmas items in January. 

Knitting

I started 2021 testing patterns. I tried to meet the one test per month but it was hard. In the end, very few designers were putting patterns out for testing. I knit 2 outfits and 2 simple sweaters for the Gotz dolls and turned my attention to Christmas knitting. 

I knit a total of 4 pairs of socks for Christmas gifts. I also knit a hat and 2 head bands. The mitts I started have been frogged and I'm not sure what I will knit next. 

The Sewing Room

I didn't get the sewing room cleaned as I had expected. The desk area is done and I started on the closet. Masks have taken over my sewing time. We all need 3 layer masks. They are more important than cleaning the sewing room.

I have signed up for a decluttering of the sewing room challenge and want to go through everything in the sewing room. Though only 21 days long, I will be doing this for a lot longer. I need to sew/embroider some each day. 

Goals

I've set my goal to sew what I have but I know I will need to buy fabric and notions to finish some projects. I am starting Christmas sewing in January and will have a tub to put the items into. I have some knitting projects to make and am hoping they will keep me busy most evenings.

My planner has ideas in it and I'm excited to get started. I have some small projects planned to work on while cleaning and will start the larger projects when I can. We have about 3 months of winter in which I can sew and knit before we see warmer weather. 

Please keep safe and healthy and wishing you the best in 2022.

Until the next time....................................................


No comments:

Post a Comment