Sunday, June 06, 2021

The Start Of A Doll's Quilt

 It was a warm day yesterday with a high of 27.7C which was a broken record. We had showers during the night and it is 18C this morning. We are looking at 32-33C tomorrow and Tuesday. All I can say is yuck. 

Lifestyle

I cleaned the kitchen yesterday and it is shining. I was happy to get that job done. I also made a cake for dinner last night at family's. Grandson biked up after lunch and made the Greek salad. We had a good visit while he chopped the vegetables. 

We had a great dinner outside at family's following all the reopening restrictions. It was nice to visit with them after a month of limited visiting. 

The Spousal Unit finished mowing the lawn yesterday morning and it is nice to have it done. It is getting thicker though we will over seed it in the fall. 

There were 18 cases of the virus reported yesterday. The number of active cases continue to decrease. 

Sewing

I want to make a simple doll's quilt. It is a study in handling the fabric from start to finish. I've been researching and studying how I wanted to do it. I looked for a pattern. I found one and watched the video and was surprised at how the designer (well known) didn't do a lot of pressing. That worried me at lot. I'll get the pattern once I've done a couple of simple quilts.

I finally chose to go with Leah Day's videos on Quilting Basics Tutorial videos starting with Preparing Your Fabric. I laundered the fabric which was quick and easy. When it came to starching it, I wondered if I had put enough starch on or too much. I massaged the fabric and pressed it. I did use a hot dry iron and it was hard not to use steam. But I persevered. The two pieces of fabric turned out nice; not too limp nor too stiff. 

I did the dance with the fabric to get it on grain and hand pressed down the fold. I did it twice before I cut 2 strips 2.5" wide. They were very straight. I was proud of what I had done. Next I cut 2.5" squares from each strip so I could start to piece.

I reviewed Beginner Quilt Piecing Tips and set up my machine up the way she did. I dialed the stitch length down to 1.6 and started to sew the first two blocks together using Aurfil thread. When done, I pressed them as directed and then sewed together my first block of 4 squares. I was impressed. A trip to the cutting table to measure and I trimmed a hair off two sides. They basically were square.

The back looked impressive also. 

I chose to press the seams open as I have never done this before. I am impressed at how flat the seams are compared to pressing to one side. I may be converted. I ended this session on a high note and am ready to tackle the remaining blocks.

The plan is to have a 4" square of a print fabric between each of the 4 patches and then quilt it using wiggles. I'm giving this to the little girl I sew for as I'm using up stash. I question as to why I bought it in the first place. 

Knitting

I got 9 rows knit on the body of the sweater. At this stage the ribbing is done and I have to increase before starting the pattern. 

Today

I am going to clean the dining area and hall plus do a load of laundry. I want to sew on the quilt this afternoon and will knit tonight. 

Until the next time...........................................

No comments:

Post a Comment