Thursday, March 04, 2021

Couture Sewing Samples Done

 Yesterday was sunny and the high got to 0C. The wind blew though and it was becoming unbearable. We thought the wind gauge next door had blown apart but the people had taken in the top part due to the wild winds. It's back in its spot this morning so we can see how windy it is. Today is going to be sunny with the high supposedly getting to -1C. We could have flurries tonight. 

Lifestyle

Yesterday we got our hair cut. We were home after 10 a.m., had coffee, and I got back to cleaning the sewing room. We were both tired of and from the wind so it was a struggle to keep on task. UGH!

There were 3 new cases of the virus reported yesterday. Over 6,000 people got tested on Tuesday giving a total of nearly 13,000 people in two days. Record breaking numbers. 

Sewing

In the hour I had for cleaning, I folded the interfacing and put it on the shelf. It is sorted by type and I have enough for a while. I did cut 5 meters off the bolt for daughter, folded the remaining amount, and put it neatly on the shelf. 

I worked on the Couture Sewing for dolls course. I am really enjoying it and it is forcing me to slow down and pay more attention to the little things that makes for high end sewing. 

The first of the two samples was dealing with curves. I am guilty of notching and slicing through both layers. On the samples, you do it alternately so the seams stay strong. 

With the seams stronger, I am learning I can trim the seams without fear of them coming apart. By slowing down on curves, I am seeing that I have nicer and smoother edges. 

The second set of samples was about backing fabric. I used the above cotton and a thin satin (which I hated sewing). The backing are hand stitched onto the outer fabric using silk thread that is coated with bees wax.

The first sample I did, I backed the fabrics with broadcloth. It is lighter than quilting cotton. The results on the satin were exactly as I expected. No shadowing and it gave the satin extra body. The cotton backed with broadcloth would have been perfect for clothing that needed more structure -- gathered sleeves and bodices.

The next sample was backed with batiste. This light weight backing is great for both pieces though I'm not sure I would use it on the cotton. 

And the last sample was backed with heavy flannel. Great for coats or items that requires a lot of structure. I have a piece of very lightweight wool suiting that will be backed with the flannel when I make a coat for the dolls. 

This exercise has made me think about backing fabrics when sewing. Though pattern designers don't talk about backing fabrics when making their outfits, sewers who think about the fabrics they use will back them when necessary. 

I have enough of the lightweight satin that I am going to back it with either broadcloth or batiste when I make a hat to go with a dress I made in 2019. 

Knitting

I knit on the beret last night and have started decreasing. I may have it finished tonight. Then the scarf and this test will be done. 

Today

We are hoping to head out to get apples. We need out of the house. The goal today is to finish the daisy wall hanging in the bathroom and tonight is knitting. 

Until the next time........................................

No comments:

Post a Comment