Saturday, February 20, 2021

Ready to Purge (Again)

 Though yesterday morning started out cold, the high got to -2.5C. There was sunshine, clouds, but not a lot of wind. This morning it is -7C and the snow has not started to fall yet. Hopefully the storm won't be as bad as they predicted. 

Lifestyle

After doing a load of laundry and making the bed, I walked into the dining room and saw the pile of cat hair under the table. It had been done not that long ago but Elliott is a shedder. That was cleaned up immediately. 

After thinking about the house, I have decided to start cleaning room by room. This will include purging items to the garbage and thrift store. I am going to be ruthless in the process with hopes that we can get the upstairs painted and new trim put on this spring/summer. 

The starting room is the downstairs bathroom. It doesn't need purging but it needs finishing and cleaning. We have everything but a mirror to finish it. I need to focus on getting it done. Then I can move on to the next area. 

There were 2 cases of the virus reported yesterday. Both cases are either travel related or a close contact to another known case. 

Sewing

I used the embroidery component of the sewing machine yesterday to make a wall hanging for the downstairs bathroom. It took almost 3.5 hours to stitch out. 

I was a bit worried about the colors I chose but it worked out fine. I still have to cut the threads on the back, remove the tear away interfacing, cut to size and put on a painter's canvas. It will hang up on the wall in the vanity area. 

As I had nothing to do while watching the embroidery stitch out that I decided to purge and clean the house. It will include the sewing room. A bit every day until it is where I want it. Some of the fabric I will offer to daughter, some will be quickly sewn into items I can give away, and some will be put into the thrift shop boxes. I need to be able to see the end of my fabric hoarding and move on to where I want to be -- a very few pieces of the fabric for sewing and time to do more of what I want to do in the sewing room rather than "the stash needs sewing down". I'm wanting to move there faster rather than slower.

I am finding that I enjoy buying a couple of pieces of fabric and sewing them up immediately. On the other hand, I do enjoy digging in the stash and sewing up some of the fabric that was bought for very specific projects. The stash has been an asset when shops closed during the pandemic. What needs to go is the fabric I passed over countless times when sewing in the past 3 years.

Knitting

My shoulder wasn't too bad last night so I finished the second sleeve, ripped out the cast off row, knit the row I didn't do, cast off and picked up all the stitches for the front band and cowl collar. By the time that was done, my shoulder was aching. 

While purging the sewing room, the knitting corner will get a good cleaning also. I will not be buying much yarn this year as I need to continue knitting what I have. I will be focusing on using it rather than hoarding and/or buying more. Hopefully, my little shopping spree is over.

Today

The snow started to fall at 7:25 a.m. and it is starting to look white out there. I will be working in the downstairs bathroom this morning, sewing in the afternoon which will include looking at fabric to send to daughter, and knitting tonight. I will also fold a load of laundry. A busy day while it snows. 

Until the next time.......................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment