Monday, November 04, 2019

Sewing and Thinking About The Sewing Room

Another lovely fall day with lots of sunshine. The high got to 11C. This morning it is 2C with frost. We will probably see sunshine and clouds today. 

Lifestyle

I did a bit of housework and headed out to do a bit of grocery shopping. Grandson came over for his hourly lesson in the afternoon. We are working on English and I'm trying to give him tricks to help him get a better understanding of English grammar and short story evaluation. 

Sewing

I worked on daughter's home decor fabric yesterday. The table topper was finished and the table runner was cut out and started. There seems to be enough fabric to make 2 placemats for her. What I tossed is minimal -- tiny strip, ends and selvage. A good use of fabric. 

The Sewing Room

I'm thinking about 2020 and while I was sewing yesterday, I thought about the sewing room. I really had a good look at it and have acknowledged what I've known since we bought the house -- It is a HUGE room. 
I love this room not only for its size but for how we got it finished. Once in a while I think it is too big for me. Most of the time, I think it is fine and only needs to have its organization tweaked. 
I love the fact I have an area for a desk where I can do course work. I need a new desk and will get it in January. I want to have light on it and a peg board above it. I also love that I have a comfortable chair in the room. I don't use it much but the Spousal Unit comes in and sits in it and visits with me. 
The tweaking is where I need to focus in the future. The areas that need the most care are where I have the fabrics and notions stashed. 
The fabrics are stored on a shelving unit and I I want that unit out of the room. It is the place where I want my ironing board, pressing tools, and a couple of peg boards to hold items I use daily (rulers, scissors, etc.). I've been busy sewing down the stash but I feel like I've not gained a lot of empty shelf space. I got fabric given to me to make piping and it fills the one empty space I had on the craft fabric shelf. A bit depressing. The bottom shelf that houses interfacing has an empty space showing. Thank goodness. 
The closet holds notions/trims and the doll's fabric. It is pretty full. I'm not worrying about the doll's fabric as it is in tubs and stacked. It is everything else that is stored in there. I am buying less but it seems as if the tubs are still full. I feel like a hoarder when I open the doors. I need to make some decisions or have it better organized. Maybe both. 
I will be coming back to reread these thoughts so I can move forward in 2020. I'm going to make monthly plans so I can get the stash down to where I want it, the room set up to how I vision it, and feel less stressed in it. 

Knitting

I have been, once again, knitting and unknitting the scarf. I am making dumb mistakes at the center increases and they are noticeable. There isn't too many more inches to knit before I bind off. 

Today

We are off to the doctor's this morning and then I need to fold laundry when we get home. I'd like to have a sewing marathon with the home decor fabric and see if I can have it almost finished by Wednesday. Knitting tonight. 
Until the next time................................

No comments:

Post a Comment