Saturday, October 20, 2018

Thoughts and A Reality Check

Yesterday's sunshine made up for the cool windy weather that went with it. Much better than cloudy, snowy weather we had on Thursday. This morning it was 12C at 6 a.m. and cloudy. Rain is forecasted for today. 

Lifestyle

We got the sewing room's walls painted. They are a shade lighter than the primer and I can't tell you why. But it is amazing. Onto the white for the closet, doors and windows and touching up the ceiling. Then scrub and move stuff back in. When the trim arrives, we will paint it and put it on. The idea of a farmhouse look in that room is materializing.  

Sewing

As I get ahead of the Spousal Unit when painting, I have to quit so he can catch up. While waiting, I try to sort my sewing stuff. Yesterday was the doll's trims. 
I got the two tubs out and started sorting into piles. It was a bit scary as I found ..... elastic. It was scary to think I had put it in the tub of trims.  It is now in the elastic bin where it belongs.
The piles started to define themselves. I put all the lace and fancy flat trims back into the container they were in. A bit of lace was tossed but the remaining was kept. I added a bag of buttons and the zippers to the tub. They are contained and usable but will get other homes later. I have buttons in another small tub and will consolidate them all when I can figure out how to contain them. I'd like to use them up and buy only for the project on hand. 
I got two more shoe tubs out. One was for ribbon. The other was for velcro, bias tape and rick rack in it. I did toss a bit of stuff and donated a bit. I see these containers as temporary. I will not be replenishing ribbon, bias tape, or rickrack. I will only buy when necessary. If I have to have a small stock, then I will have a small container. 

Thoughts

I am being ruthless. Very ruthless. It started when reading the blog where the person had her fabrics contained in containers of which they all fit under her cutting table. Next I found and watched two videos on sewing rooms. I'm not condoning people for how they keep their sewing spaces or what they keep in them. These were reality checks. Paying attention to what my brain thinks while watching the videos. Where I need to go in my journey.  
The first video was a tour of a person's sewing room that was stuffed to beyond usability in my mind. It had my nerves jangling and all I could think of was "beyond the "clutter threshold" for me. I shut it off, took a deep breath, and relaxed. It was good for me to watch what I could. It helped me identify where my clutter threshold isn't. I will say this reaffirmed what I want in a sewing room; that place that is calm and creative to my brain
The second video was a tour of a sewing room that was neat and tidied up. She didn't have an over abundance of items and each was in its place. It felt relaxing and creative in my brain. I saw this as at or near my clutter threshold. This is what I need to aim towards. It reaffirmed that this is what I need to work towards. 
It was great to see these two rooms and think about my thoughts as I watched them. What do I want? What can I handle on a daily basis in that room? How much is too much? As Dana White states, we need to work towards that as we clean up the clutter. It is hard work to get there and to keep it there. My brain is saying it is ready to finish the journey to having the space I want and to keep it neat and tidy.  

Today

I'd love to do the ceiling touch up if it isn't too dark in the room. We don't have any other plans for today unless the Spousal Unit goes to help Son for a bit this morning. If not, I will continue to work on my sewing room stuff. 
Until the next time............................

No comments:

Post a Comment