Friday, October 19, 2018

One In One Out Rule

Yesterday was a weather anomaly. There were snow flurries for most of the day. Nothing stuck to the ground but the air was white with those hard little pellets. Today is cool but sunny. 

Lifestyle

I got 2 ziplock bags full of the Sausage Spinach Tomato soup made and frozen. They will be nice to have on cool days. I am now looking for more recipes I can freeze and then put into the crock pot. 
After the soup was done, we scooted over to Son's to help him unload the cover for the heat pump's compressor. Light but awkward. After that we got Elliott more food. Home for lunch.
After lunch we started painting the sewing room. We got one small wall done, cleaned up and headed over to Son's house to wait for the pool guys to come. It is all about family and we were happy to help. We brought in three wheelbarrow loads of wood. One in the house and two outside in the wood holder. We then watched TV while we waited. No pool guys as they were behind schedule. Daughter-in-law was home to greet them. 

Sewing Room

With the hopes of having the first coat of paint on yesterday, I allowed myself to think about how things will go back into that room. I'm allowing myself a week to reload the room.
I have come to realize that getting back to my clutter threshold is not going to happen with this purge, I will continue to work on it over the next while. I am still looking at this room as a container. A big container that readily allows me to go over my clutter threshold. I need to look at if from a minimalistic view point; the less is best thinking. 

  • I cannot buy any more fabric between now and January 1. I really should say until I have sewn down 50 meters of fabric which includes what I have bought this fall. 
  • Everything needs to be in containers in the room. I need to address how big and how many containers I can have. My heart sang when one lady said she only allows herself one tub (large) of fabric for her garments. I could see it controlled in that clear tub under her cutting table. 
  • Consolidate is the name of the game. I do not need notions in more than one place. They need to be kept together. I'm not sure why my brain thinks like this. I will roll thread into a piece of fabric rather than put it into the thread drawer. I will have doll hair items in two or three places rather than in its designated tub. It's how my slob brain works. I have to focus on putting it into the right place. 
  • Keep only what I love. If I find something I love more, then the least loved item in that container needs to go. 
  • I can declutter without making a bigger mess. I have everything out of the room so I can spend time gathering all the likes together, put it into a container and get it back into the sewing room.
  • More furniture will happen when I know exactly what I am keeping without it making me feel stressed or when it doesn't overflow from the designated containers I have. I may replace tubs that are ugly with those that are cute. 
These are my thoughts and they will be tweaked to me. I do read my posts to see how I am doing and what is working best for me. 
Putting likes together into a container and if it is too full, purging what is not my favorite.  It is The One In One Out rule. I'm seeing how it works. The yarn was the big test on that. I decided I didn't need a bunch of yarn that is discontinued and hard to knit with. I kept one of each color for test projects. I'm fine with that. I'd rather have the yarn I love more. The next area this is going to work is the doll's trim container. It is spilling out into another container and it has to be contained. Maybe this afternoon I will start on it. 

Knitting

Along with the set back to the hat I am working on, Elliott decided he wanted to help me out. 
He peeled a bunch of yarn off the skein in 3 seconds flat. I had to rewind it into a ball. Thank goodness I caught him before he decided to play with the mess. 
I knit the ribbing on the hat and have 4 rows of the pattern done (1 repeat). It is moving along quickly. 
I would like to aim for 12 rows a night but I have books to read also. I'm horrid at reading a book and knitting. 

Today

We plan on painting the sewing room. If there is time, I will sort the doll's trims. I will be using the One In One Out rule. 
Until the next time...........................

No comments:

Post a Comment