Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Time In The Sewing Room

 Yesterday was hot with lots of sunshine and a high of 28.C (humidex 37). We didn't break any records. This morning it is 21C (humidex 28C) and we are to have a high of 25C (humidex 30C) and showers. 

Lifestyle

The Spousal Unit is showing signs of stabilizing. He ate an apple fritter that son and grandson brought in for him. He was awake, talked to them in his little world, tried to talk to people walking in the hall, and read the nurse's name on the board. He wasn't sedated which was good. He mentioned a name which son and I could talk about at home. A kid that the Spousal Unit helped when he was in school and having a hard time. 

I did some grocery shopping in the morning and had lunch with family while the cleaners were here. I have decided to keep the cleaners until the end of October so I can do the heavy cleaning and get prepared for winter. Once I get a system going, I can do it myself. 

With the house clean I decided it was my day off from doing housework. 

Sewing

I decided to spend some time in the sewing room. I set up the embroidery for the skirt. There were two issues, I ran out of bobbin thread and the needle decided to shred the thread. Once those were fixed all went well. 

I pinned in the pleats but they won't be pressed. I still need to do a pleat on each side of the outer piece of embroidery. The skirt will be gathered to the bodice with minimal gathering over the pleats. 

I tried the single spool thread director yesterday once again on the Juki. No success. It hates the thread coming off in the position you have to place it. Next step was to figure out where I was going wrong in threading the machine. 

I have been watching a lot of Juki Junkies videos. They have only 2 on the Juki NX7 so I watched them both. I picked up that I haven't been threading the machine properly at the beginning. I haven't been holding the thread taut when taking it into the tension disk at step 2. I did that step using glide thread (which they recommend for all sewing and embroidery) and it stitched perfectly with the factory settings. Huzzah!!!

When the embroidery was completed, I set the thread director onto the Diamond. 

With some fiddling of the disk at the end of the spool, I got the machine to stitch out some of the decorative stitches using both metallic and regular embroidery thread. I didn't even use tear away stabilizer like recommended. The only thing I have to do is pull some thread off the spool when I need to cut the thread. This sample was done using metallic thread. Ignore the blue as that is from the Juki

I was totally impressed with these designs and the fanciest one reminds me that I need to add this to a doll's outfit.

These were done using regular embroidery thread. 

I am totally impressed and happy to play on the Diamond once again. Next up is trying the Thread Director 2 (2 spools of thread) on the Diamond.

I stopped as my brain was getting tired from doing so much thinking. I'm not use to doing so much thinking in the sewing room. I was also feeling a bit guilty as I did feel like I should be looking after the Spousal Unit rather than enjoying myself.

Today

I have to wash the beets and get them ready to deliver to households. I would like to get the mattress pad back onto the guest bed, clean the litter box and look in the closet and make a plan. I have an appointment at the bank at 1:30 p.m. and I may do a bit of sewing after I get home. I need to embroider the 2nd skirt and put the extra pleats in the skirt. I am tired as I didn't sleep well due to the house being hot. We had a humidex of 28-29C all night. 

Until the next time.......................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment