Wednesday, August 03, 2022

Oh What A Day!

 Yesterday was a warm day with a high of 26.3C and with a humidex of 33C. Today it is cloudy and 18C. The high is to get to 29C with a humidex of 37C. We are under another heat warning until Saturday. 

Lifestyle

Yesterday started off with the Spousal Unit being sore and telling me someone punched him in the mouth breaking off a tooth. He has a broken tooth but won't go to the dentist. The morning moved on to the garden. He wanted to plant peas and beans. He got wound up as I had things to do in the house as the cleaners were coming. 

Once we got out to garden boxes, he grabbed a long handled cultivator and started to do a deep cultivation of the boxes. He worked the one the beans were in for a good 10 minutes or more before he moved on to the box the peas were in. I planted beans while he worked the second box. He then moved on to the box the garlic was in. I was monitoring him while I planted and only got a tiny bit done in the third box when he started to stagger. He was exhausted. He put the cultivator down at the tomato plant and I got him inside. While he recovered, I planted the pea seeds. 

When I got back inside, he was in a nasty mood due to being tired. When the cleaners arrived he went out to the garage to have his pipe. He proceeded to go outside so I had to follow. Our neighbor arrived and the Spousal Unit calmed down. We showed him the peppers, tomatoes, and the garlic we have stored in the shed. I gave the neighbor the extra bean seeds for his garden as he couldn't find any in the stores. We then sat on the deck. When I gave the Spousal Unit lunch he was totally relaxed and tired. I watered the garden while we ate lunch as I wanted that job done while he was agreeable. 

Respite came and while they talked, the Spousal Unit fell asleep. When we woke him at 4:10 p.m. he was a decent mood. He had another short nap and woke in a foul mood. I served him dinner and he ate a bit. He looked around deciding which wall to throw his food onto. He got up and looked out the window and said he was going to pee on the car. He took off outside with me behind him. I had picked up my purse thinking we would go for a drive. I locked up the house and sat in the hot car trying to persuade him to get in. It was a good 45 minutes with me asking him nicely but firmly to get in and him saying no as I was whacky in the head and couldn't drive. He finally said he would come in and sit down to talk. He was getting over his spell. He felt he had won but in actual fact I had won as my stubbornness wore him down enough to break the spell. 

Inside, I reheated his dinner which he ate every single bite. He had a big bowl of ice cream and by that time he had settled down. He had no expression on his face, he was like a zombie. We sat on the couch and he relaxed. His facial expressions returned on his face. Elliott cuddled near him and he was happy. He was in bed by 8:30 pm and slept well. 

I was upset yesterday with how he's on full medication and having these spells. I had to tell myself it takes a while before it works. I was angry as he ripped pages out of my book which I keep a daily record of respite, chores to do, shopping list, etc. He got angry as he saw his name on a page. It was the only time I had written his name in the book as I usually refer to him as "he" or "him". I had to repeat that I had to remain calm and that his brain is not functioning like a normal person's brain. I have to get another book out in a week or so.

Sewing

I spent respite in the sewing room. I cancelled grocery shopping as I wasn't sure how the Spousal Unit would behave for the respite worker. 

I spent the whole time cutting and sewing borders. I got the dark border on and was thrilled with it. 

I cut the light borders and got the two side ones sewn on. 

The top pieces are cut and ready to be pieced and sewn on. Maybe today I can get them done. I will then cut and sew the binding so it will be ready when the quilt is done. Our neighbor is going to quilt it for me. 

Daughter has been showing the quilt to the lady who looks after their dogs. She is a friend and an avid quilter. It seems like the two of them are going to make this quilt also. Daughter could have two of them to snuggle under.

Thoughts

The Spousal Unit is declining and it saddens me. He is at a stage where he moves between being independent to dependent. Dressing is one. Smoking his pipe is another. I help him when he needs it. He is totally dependent with his medication. He knows he needs them but doesn't remember when he is to take them. 

His behaviors are uncontrollable by him. If something is bothering him, it usually flips the switch and his actions are out of control. It has to run its course as I saw last night. I find the behaviors more exhausting than the dependency. It hurts me to the core when he continually calls me down with nasty names and that I'm wacky in the head. It scares me when he picks up things to use as a weapon. It worries me when he yells he's leaving and is out the door. In reality, I carry a house key and my phone at all times.

I am finding that he has too much in the garage and shed and is trying to keep track of it all. We need to figure out how to pare it down. I'm trying to keep the clutter to a minimum in the house and it does help. It is a discussion family and I need to have. 

Today

I have laundry to fold and put away, the garden to water, shopping, and sewing. Respite is here from 12 to 3 pm so I will eat early so I can leave as soon as the person arrives. I am hoping we can have a quiet evening so we can be ready to go out on Thursday as the car gets new back tires. 

Until the next time................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment