Sunday, August 14, 2022

Sewing Items Sorted

 Yesterday was warm with a high of 26C (humidex of 31C). It started to rain about 8 p.m. and we had almost 3/4" rain until midnight. This morning it is cloudy and 18C. We are to have showers and a high of 22C. There is virtually no wind again this morning. 

Lifestyle

Yesterday morning I did a few chores and was happy that I could watch TV for about 20 minutes before lunch had to be made. 

Respite arrived on time and, after a quick briefing as she was new, I left to shop at New Minas. I took the puzzles into the used book store and got a $34.00 credit. I went to Walmart and shopped. Half of what was on my list wasn't in the store. It reaffirmed why I hate shopping in that Walmart. I did notice that the curtains I bought for our bedroom come in a lovely light grey. Only 1 there though so will have to look in Bedford for two for the guest room. 

I went to Staples and got the items for a new planner. I will return the journal and get a leather bound covered one plus larger sized rings. I was home in really good time so know I can do Bedford next week. 

The Spousal Unit was confused when I arrived home. He was getting upset and the respite person told me he had just woke up. That was why and I spent a few minutes calming him down, giving him a hug, and talking to him. He had actually been missing me.

In the evening, the Spousal Unit went out to look at the garden, came in the front door and into the garage. I made sure the door to the garage was left open a crack. I was busy washing dishes when the front door opened again and I said "What do you want now?" and daughter-in-law answered. We hugged each other laughing our heads off. She had come to say hi to us as she had spent the day in Halifax at the Wanders' game. 

Sewing

I spent a few minutes in the sewing room moving binders off the table onto the new low shelf I had created. I need a hole punch as one of the binders has lots of loose papers in it. 

I looked for heavy duty page protectors and there were none in the New Minas Walmart. I use them in the binders when I want to store items as they have a flap on them. I also store patterns I keep for the dolls in them. 

While watching TV, I sorted the beads. I can use them all. 

The pearls will make necklaces for the dolls. I am going to string them onto heavy cotton thread with a small bead between each pearl for chokers and long necklaces. I was using jewelry wire but read to use thread. I'm debating about the hemming braid. It is too wide for the dolls but I may keep it for the skirt on a long full gown.

Next up I did the trims and laces. Most went to the garbage but I kept some. They are airing as they smell of mothballs. There is one piece of trim I really like though.

And there is a lot of this lace which can be used on dresses. 

Thoughts

My thoughts for the last two-three days were about using a planner. I have tried over the years to use one and I failed. I used a bullet journal and was a total flop on it. I found the dots were nice for designing but when I did a page of delight, I really never used it. I kept asking why. I realized when I found the last bullet journal that it was always closed, when opened it, I couldn't fold it over on itself and I felt I had to design pages to use. I had it out for a day before I put it away. It wasn't my thing.

Fast forward.........

Last year I started using a small coiled notebook for grocery shopping. It folded open onto itself and I could add to the list as necessary. I could have it opened in the grocery cart when shopping. I really loved it and have filled one and have almost filled the second one. This summer, I also started to use the last one as a journal/planner and found it too small for what I needed to write. I was also figuring out quilts, sewing ideas, etc in it. It was becoming a jumbled up mess but I was just coping with it. My sewing journal has been put away for almost 6 months now as it was table clutter that irritated the Spousal Unit. As I thought about a new planner, I realized I needed a one that I could:

  • Incorporate daily life, sewing, quilting, knitting, and house planning into.

  • Have plain lined pages rather than dots or plain pages.

  • Be able to add page dividers to it.

  • Be larger in size so I can write using one page a day without spilling onto the next page.

  • Be coil bound so I can fold it onto itself with just one page showing. 

I researched out ideas and found that I should look at Staples Arc system. It was perfect as it met all the above criteria. I bought the plastic cover planner but will return it for the leather bound one. I will also buy the larger rings so I can have 120 pages in it. I did buy extra paper and page dividers. The planner will be simple and probably messy. I can write what we do each day with respite time and who. I can add an area for a shopping list and meal planning on the necessary pages. I will have separate areas for sewing, quilting, knitting, and the house that is separate from the daily information. Those I can use for ideas, calculating amounts, etc. and see it at a glance. This is not going to be fancy as I don't have time for that. It will be open to the page, write, add to it, and get on with what ever I need to do.

Today

We have respite from 2-5 p.m. so I need to make sure that I have dinner ready to go into the oven quickly. I am not sure what chores I will do but I know I have a few. Laundry for sure and clean up the cat box area. I want to keep it low key today. I will be sewing during respite and hope to get the t-shirt and capri pants done.

Until the next time....................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment