Sunday, August 21, 2022

We Are Recovering

 Sorry I didn't post yesterday but I was exhausted and needed to do a few things that just couldn't wait. 

We are in the midst of another short heat wave. Yesterday was sunny and the high got to 29C with a humidex of 34C. This morning it is 15C and is suppose to be sunny with clouds and a chance of showers. The high is to suppose to get to 30C with a humidex of 34C. 

Lifestyle

Friday I was exhausted from the lack of sleep. The Spousal Unit was tired but couldn't relax. He woke me at 6:30 a.m. but didn't get out of bed until 7:45 a.m. He was delusional and irritable. Wouldn't take his pills though I did get him to take them with toast at 9:20 a.m. He was still responding to me which was good. He paced the morning away.

Respite arrive around 11:30 a.m. and I left her to feed him lunch while I had a nap. She tried to get him to nap but his eyes were darting around and he kept moving on her. She just talked to him about many things which did help. After she left, he did cat nap late in the afternoon. I think he had 3 5 minute naps. 

I let family know what was going on while he cat napped. Daughter-in-law brought over dinner and fed us. She left and I said I would call if needed. At 8:30 she had to return as the Spousal Unit had taken all the bedding off our bed and was very agitated. I had tried everything I could and nothing was working. We got him onto the couch and covered with a blanket. I went to bed and he came later on. He got into bed and started to have delusional conversations on the "phone". Got him over that one and he had a second conversation talking to customers. We settled him again and he rolled over facing me. I rubbed his hands and he went to sleep. He slept until 7:30 a.m. I was up at 6 a.m. and saw daughter-in-law off so she could get some sleep in her bed. 

The Spousal Unit is over this spell. He ate 3 really good meals yesterday and was really calm. He had a nap in the morning and one in the afternoon. It was recovery day for his exhausted brain and body. We picked tomatoes for his salad at noon. I woke him around 3 pm and he had been in a deep sleep. I got him in the car and we went for a drive. We looked at the apples which are growing rapidly. We saw some horses in a field and checked them out. Saw some cattle and checked them out. Came home, watered the garden, and had dinner. All was good. 

After dinner we sat and talked. As it got closer to bed time, I started saying how the chores were done for the day. Referred to the horses and cows and how they were safe for the night. Talked about watering the garden and that chore was done. He went to bed in good time and fidgeted with my hands some, turned over and slept well all night. Just his usual trip to the bathroom. I had a good night's sleep also. 

I did get the bathroom cleaned and disinfected yesterday morning. I also cleaned some in the kitchen. Quiet chores that wouldn't disturb the Spousal Unit while he slept. I found the missing potholders -- only 2 were missing and under a cookbook. I think I did that but one can't be sure when the Spousal Unit is having a bad spell. I also napped in the afternoon which helped me considerably. 

I spent a bit of time on Pinterest and found this website for some freezer meals. I am starting off with the lasagna which we both love. I have to figure out the meat sauce for the Ravoili casserole. I think we will like that one also. The goal is to have one to eat and one for the freezer. I hope to make more and get ideas of how much there will be for future meals. 

Daughter texted thinking she has Covid though she tested negative. Not sure what she has but she did sleep most of the day. I am sure she will keep me posted.

Sewing

I did get down to sew on Friday after I had a nap. I got the 2nd bodice done for the American Girl doll and it is really nice. I didn't sew yesterday due to being tired and monitoring the Spousal Unit. 

Thoughts

This last spell was one doozy of a session. It went on for days and got worse as time went on. It had to be broken as we couldn't let the Spousal Unit go on any longer or he'd be sick and in the hospital. That brings its own issues. 

I am grateful that family is close by and will step in when I am unable to look after the Spousal Unit when I can't due to exhaustion or if I am the trigger and target. They can get him calmed down and let me recuperate some before it starts again. In this last case, it was what I needed to help break the session he was having. They are also great at helping him do what he still can do. It allows him to have pride that he can still do some things as we've taken away mowing and weed eating which he enjoyed doing so much.

I am also very surprised at how well the Spousal Unit is doing without his tobacco and matches. He is using the nicotine inhaler 3 times a day. He does pack his pipe in his hand when he is in the garden. He may mention tobacco once a day but it is usually forgotten within minutes. He knows it is missing and thinks it is stolen. We leave it at that. 

I haven't thought about the shed or garage for a bit. The shed may be done this fall as he no longer can get into it. I have hidden the keys and am letting what is in it fade from his mind. When it is cooler, I will sneak out and dispose of some things when respite is here. Small items at first then bigger ones later on. We will devise a story about them going if he notices. 

Today

I am hoping to make a potato salad and roast a chicken. I have to clean the bathroom again and do some laundry. We have to go for a drive so he can look around and we can give family some flowers as a thank you. What ever else gets done will be a bonus. 

Until the next time...............................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment