Thursday, March 03, 2022

Placemats Started

 We wonder if spring will ever come. After a nice day on Tuesday with a high of -3.5C and sunshine, it snowed yesterday. The high got to about 4C and the snow turned to rain. This morning it is -5C and we are to have more snow. 

Small History Nova Scotia by Sara Spike

Mr AP Cameron has erected a line of telephone posts from the main line to his house on which he has a private line. Mr. Cameron says the phone is a great company in these long storms. Port Howe Mar 2 1905. 

Lifestyle

After a rough day for the Spousal Unit on Tuesday, yesterday was much better. We got our hair cut, I shoveled snow off the driveway, and we had a call from an old friend. 

The Spousal Unit enjoyed talking to our old friend. The chit chatted about many things going on. Our friend "came clean" and told us he has cancer and is refusing treatment. We keep him and his wife in our thoughts during this time. 

Son and daughter-in-law were over last night to deliver puzzles for the Spousal Unit to do. We had a quick visit as son had to get home and put his leg up. His sprained ankle is healing slowly. The Spousal Unit will enjoy doing these puzzles and I will set him up today to start on a simple one. 

Sewing

I cut out the pieces for the placemat tops. I got the green border sewn on the long sides of the 6 placemats on Tuesday and then the short sides yesterday. I trimmed the borders after giving them a good pressing.

I am now ready to start on the red border. I am making these again using some cardinal fabric I have. I must remember to cut the borders 1/4" wider and trim them back as it is more accurate. 

Once the tops are done, I will cut the back and see how much fabric I need to buy to finish this project. I also have to look at how much batting I have as I may have to buy more. I can make the mug rugs and doll's apron while I wait to get to the quilt shop to buy the fabric. 

My Juki is hating Glide thread which I mainly sew with. I put on Aurifil and Gutterman threads and all was good. I looked at how the Glide thread comes off the spool and it is opposite to the other thread. I am going to try using Glide standing up in a jar while I wait for my thread holder. Glide thread works beautifully on the Diamond as I use a wonderful thread holder for it. It actually lifts the thread up about 4" before it goes down to be threaded through the machine.

Knitting

I got buttons for the jacket and need to sew them on. I knit the scarf and it is cute. I knit a total of 6 rows for this scarf as 4 rows was too narrow.

I started on the hat yesterday and am decreasing for the crown now. It is an easy knit. 

There should be enough yarn left over to make a simple short sleeved sweater. I really want to use up the yarn so I can say it is gone. 

Next up will be socks on small needles. 

Today

I have laundry to do and the bathroom and kitchen to clean. I will set up the first puzzle for the Spousal Unit to do and sew on the placemats. Tonight I will finish the hat and start on the sweater to use up the rest of the yarn. With it going to snow today, we will be staying home. 

Until the next time.....................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment