Sunday, May 03, 2020

Researching The Mary Laura Over Dress - A Fun Process

Yesterday was a damp day with a high of 13C. Today is sunny and 3C. It is suppose to get to 15C today. A lovely spring day before it rains again. 

Lifestyle

I cleaned our bedroom yesterday. The dust elephants were beaten into submission, furniture wiped of dust and the floors washed with bleach and soap. I even washed the filter in the hand vacuum. It was disgusting. But all is well now and the bedroom smelled like bleach for the better part of the day. 
The Spousal Unit put together more of the puzzle or, as he says, he moved a lot of pieces around. I didn't look at it yesterday. 
We had 4 new cases of the virus and 2 deaths yesterday. Three of the four new cases and the two deaths were at the long term care facility in Halifax. 866 tests were done which is amazing. Hopefully the number of cases will remain low as people move about a bit more. I do love how it was put out for people to read. 

Sewing

The other day I fooled around with some fancy stitches on my machine. I used regular thread and embroidery thread. I like the embroidery thread the best. 
It gives better definition to the stitches. I used tear away stabilizer under the fabric buy may cut strips of cut away stabilizer in the future. 
I spent a couple of hours in the sewing room working on the Mary Laura dress. 
I finished the skirt and am happy with it. I pressed the ruffle down so it wouldn't stick out. 
I started the dress and when I got to the neckline, I had to use the magnifying glass on preview to look at the neckline. Both Laura and Mary have lace on the neckline of their dresses. Mary has lace on the cuffs of her dress but I can't see any on Laura's dress. I wonder if Laura knit it for the dresses. She did talk about knitting lace in her books. 
I put a cotton lace on the neck of the dress I am making. I didn't gather it as stated in the pattern. It looked horrid when gathered. I hand stitched it on very carefully so I could manipulate it to fit the curve of the neckline. 
I have a couple of things to fix up before I add the sleeves. I am thrilled with the results so far. And I am enjoying this project as I do research and sew. 

Knitting

I got the buttons on the sweater yesterday and took photographs of it. 
It fits big and I am now saying it is an outdoor everyday sweater. I lost tension using this new yarn and am glad it is discontinued. I sure wouldn't buy it again. 
I cast it on again using a size smaller needles and got 24 rows knit last night. I'm looking for a more fitted sweater to wear with a skirt. 

Today

I'm heading down to the sewing room today as I have a no housework on Sunday rule. This afternoon I will be outside as the Snowbirds will be flying over us on Operation Inspiration thanking Canadians for doing their part during the pandemic. We thank them for giving us something to look forward to while self isolating. I will knit tonight as I want to finish the sweater before May 11. 
Until the next time....................................


No comments:

Post a Comment