Tuesday, May 03, 2016

An Update

Yesterday was warm; really I think it was hot. Our high got to 30.9C or 87.5F at the airport so warmer in town. People were out enjoying it.


First and foremost, thank you for the kind words. They mean so much to me when my world is turned upside down.
When I left Dave at 8 p.m. last night he was feeling much better. He had a rough day which made it a rough day for me.
I saw him in the morning and he was upset when I arrived. He had spent the night in emergency on a narrow cot and his temperature was still elevated. He was confused and all he wanted was a cup of coffee. I quickly complied and he calmed down. Our family doctor had been in to see him and spent a few extra minutes with him talking about us being in the city.
I left him to head home to clean house and do some laundry. It was going to be a day of back and forth to the hospital. While I was gone, he was to be moved to a ward. He got agitated and pulled out his IV as the beeper was annoying him and he couldn't turn it off with his cell phone. On the way up to the ward he started cussing another person (who wasn't there) about being selfish about wanting all the care. When I arrived after lunch, he was agitated. I asked for his temperature to be taken as he was shaking and his cheeks were bright red. His temp had gone up .5C in less than an hour. Tylenol was given and I took him via wheel chair to buy a coffee and take him out into the sunshine and fresh air. He loved it. On the way back up, his fever broke and he was sweating like crazy.
I left him as he went to shower and get his next IV of anti viral medication for the fluid on his brain. I came home for dinner and the first specialist phoned me. Though they will continue to treat him for encephalitis, they will be treating him for pneumonia. He is very ill with that. He still had some delirium from the infection and high temperature.
When I arrived for the evening visit, he was calm and relaxed. His temperature was 36.9C (normal) and was for two readings. Though a bit confused he was more rational than before and we had a good visit. He even joked with the nurses. When I told him he had pneumonia, he was happy to have a diagnosis. After a short visit, I settled him down for the night and came home.
I slept all night for the second night in a row. That in itself will keep me going. My only worry now is keeping him in the hospital until he is well enough to come home. Hence, I have his clothes, money, etc. I can handle the house on my own but would worry if he was home alone trying to take care of himself. When ill he just can't do it any more.


I work a full shift but can leave at any time to see Dave if he is upset or agitated. If he is like he was last night, all should be okay.
Until tomorrow with another progress report...................


  1. Anonymous7:16 AM

    Sure hope things continue to improve. Take care of you, too.

  2. Hang in there and take care of yourself. Glad you are sleeping well. That definitely helps with tricky hospital time. Sending good wishes for Dave (my brothers name also) regards Ruth in Derbyshire England.

  3. Oh, the poor guy! And poor you! Its hard to focus on sewing and crafts when a family member becomes so ill. Hoping for the best for you both.

  4. Gosh, you are both going through it at the moment. My very best wishes to both of you.