Thursday, April 04, 2024

Working On Finishing Projects

 Yesterday was a mix of sun and cloud with a high of 6.4C. This morning it is cloudy and -1C. Today it is suppose to be snow mixed with rain which is start around noon or earlier depending on which site you believe. The high is to get to 3C. 

Lifestyle

I spent the morning cleaning up the spare bedroom. It was time to sweep and mop the floor as the litter box area was gritty. While that floor dried, I cleaned the outside of the washer and dryer and then did the hall floor. It was great to get those two areas cleaned. 

I also tidied up the kitchen; mainly putting away clean dishes. I also did 2 loads of laundry which still needs to be folded. With those jobs completed, I had done more than was on my list. 

Later in the afternoon, I took recycling out to the curb for pick up this morning. It was cool outside due to the wind. I did get the job done and enjoyed the fresh air. I looked in the ditch and know I need a few dry days before I can clean it up.  It is a mess from other people's garbage and litter. I also looked at the weeds and will have to spray again this year but it isn't as bad as last year. It will be done when it is warmer and we have a few sunny days. 

Sewing

I had enough time before lunch to work on the wine bottle bags. I am pleased with them. 

They are now in the craft bazaar tub. I will start the next few later on this month. 

After lunch I worked on the doll's chemise. I got the gussets in and what a job that was. I had fray checked the sides before lunch so they wouldn't fray. I marked the gussets and chemise so I knew where the seam joins should go. I carefully put the first gusset in with no problems until I sewed up the arm and side seams. I had half a gusset. I took it apart and fixed it. 


I cannot tell you what I did wrong but I sure had a good laugh. The second gusset went in easier and the arm and side seams need to be sewn. 

My time was up for that project. 

Next up was to hand sew binding down on the cardinal quilt. I sat in the family room to do that. I got about 1/3 of the binding sewn down in the time I had allocated to that project. 

I was happy with how much I got done yesterday. I am coming to the end of the projects. I cleaned off the cutting table and then dug into the doll's stash looking for fabric. I scored when I dug in the last tub. 

The light purple is satin I bought about 13 years ago. I bought lots of it in different colours as the wrong side looks like silk. I will be using the wrong side for the doll's dress. The trim is a piece of overlay I bought 12-13 years ago and never used. I will be using it on the front skirt of the dress. My plan is to use the big piece at the bottom and then add the flowers on each side above it. All will be hand stitched down. I am ready to start on this when the doll's chemise is finished. 

Knitting

I knit on the socks last night and got over half of the foot done. I am on the home stretch with these socks. 

I have enjoyed working on these socks so much that I will miss handling the yarn. Next up is 2 hats in a soft yarn. 

Thoughts

    I am still trying to figure out why I had the funk on Easter weekend. It is hard to pinpoint the why but I have a feeling it has to do with the quilt. I know I had been struggling with negative thoughts while sewing it and all of that is gone. I don't think them while hand sewing the binding. Part of the funk could be me working on perfectionism and trying to break the pattern, part could be people expect me to do things perfectly that I struggle with, and part could be I am missing the Spousal Unit. I am feeling much better now and will put those thoughts to bed without really knowing the true why. 

    I decided yesterday morning to divide sewing into time periods to see if I could walk away from an unfinished project (the doll's chemise). I succeeded. I left it feeling happy with what I had accomplished. I wasn't tired nor did I struggle too much. I need to do more of that in the coming days. I want to see if it keeps my thoughts positive when doing difficult or big projects. 

    I need to clean up where I craft. It is a mess as I have been creating and not cleaning up at the end of a session. I have to figure out how to organize and keep it tidy when  working in a small space. Food for thought as I hand stitch the binding on the quilt and look at the mess. 

    Spring must be coming. The grocery store got a load of dirt (in bags) and it is sitting in the parking lot where the gardening centre tent will stand. I am sure the other gardening centres will be opening soon which is exciting. 

Today

I am off to osteopathy this morning. I am sure I will be sore when she gets finished. I am coming right home afterwards due to the weather. I may go to the craft shop and see what I want for paper crafts. Then it will be sewing in the afternoon. It may only be hand sewing but that is okay. I will knit tonight. 

Until the next time...................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment