Wednesday, April 10, 2024

First Border On The Next Quilt

 Yesterday morning the clouds rolled in around 9 am and it was cloudy for the rest of the day. The high got to 6.2C. This morning it is clear, frosty, and -4C. We are to have sunshine and a high of 9C.

Lifestyle

My body rebelled when I went to do yoga. My back was very sore so I decided to clean the kitchen and wash the floor on my hands and knees. I had hoped my back would have a crack and all would be good. Did not happen. 

The floor was dirty. I have been keeping it clean with Bona and Swiffer wet cloths. When I did it on my hands and knees, I was surprised at how much grime was still on the floor. No wonder it was dull looking. I spent a lot of time washing it so it would shine as much as dull finished tiles will shine. I am glad I took the time to do it even if my back was sore. 

I did a few more things during the morning and sat between chores with heat on my back. That did help some. It wasn't until late afternoon that my back finally had a good crack and the pain disappeared. 

I found this picture of the time lapse of the eclipse in Bedford. We didn't have a total eclipse but very close to one. 

It is so cool to see pictures of the eclipse in our area. I am grateful that people post these pictures on Facebook for others to enjoy. 

Sewing

I had a sew-a-thon yesterday. I made more of the flying geese to finish one side border on the quilt. The trimming takes the longest time as I am super careful to get the correct size with the point of the triangle in the middle. 

Once I knew I was close on size, I marked the outside edges of the panel with chalk. It was tight on the sides but doable. I then sewed the border on. The bottom 3.5" is only basted in place as it will come apart when I do the bottom border. 

When done the side border I cut more squares and got more blocks sewn. I am ready to sew the last seams before I do the last cut and trim. 

Though not my favourite way to sew (chain sewing), it is the quickest way to get the blocks done. I will trim the blocks 10 at a time and sew them together until I have enough to do the top of the panel. Doing this allows my brain to rest from chain sewing and breaks the job down to manageable parts. I don't think I could sew and trim about 80 of these all at once. I admire people who do it but my brain would be a soggy mess. It starts to become a soggy mess when I do 20 blocks. 

So far, I have bought nothing for this quilt. I am using up thread I have in the thread drawer. It is a beige coloured thread in 3 different but close shades. I will have to buy batting and pay for the quilting which daughter and I will share the cost of. 

I bought the pattern for the doll's dress we are to make this month. It is going to be labour intensive but I am going to get it done by the end of May. I need to cut out the skirt and start hand sewing the front appliqué pieces on to it. It will be nice to work on when I need to do some quiet work in the late afternoon. 

Knitting

I worked on the hat last night. As I am using smaller needles, it is taking longer to knit but it is going to be a warm hat. 

I am almost ready to start decreasing. I will go up a needle size when I make the next one for daughter and add 4 more stitches to the size. 

Thoughts

    I am thinking about how to wash the floors in this house. The products I have been using with the mops recommended are not doing the job for me. I am going to use the Swiffer wet pads for when I need to do a fast job. The Bona will be used but I will be doing the floors on my hands and knees when I use it. 

    The dog panel quilt is evolving quite quickly. It could be done by Sunday afternoon. Once done, I will be working on a doll's dress that is labour intensive. I have a couple of projects lined up to work on when I need a break from the dress. I know I can't work hours at a time on it due to the amount of work that needs to be done both on the machine and by hand. 

Today

I need to do yoga today as am almost pain free. Then it will be laundry and washing the hall floor on my hands and knees. I want to finish sewing the blocks and get the top border on to the quilt. If I have time, I would like to work outside on the front flower bed. I have garbage to take to the curb. Tonight I want to knit on the hat. 

Until the next time..............................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment