Friday, April 19, 2024

A New Quilt Started

 Yesterday started out with some clouds but cleared off and was beautiful. The high got to 11.4C. This morning it is clear and -2C. It is suppose to be sunny with a high of 14C. 

Lifestyle

I was out the door early for a hair cut. On the way in, I noticed the old magnolia tree's blooms have started to open. I was really excited about that. I also admired the places where people have planted crocuses in their lawns. The colours in the grass are wonderful. Spring is slowly coming. 

I took a new route home as I wanted to see how fast I could get to town. I go through the area behind me and come out on the road to the hospital. It will take me a good 5 minutes less to get to physio which is next door to the hospital. It will be faster to go grocery shopping. I will be going that way more often. Strangely enough, they still have all the big trucks come in our way. Hopefully that will become less as time goes on. 

Once home, I swept the floors and tidied up some. I was monitoring Elliott as he isn't eating his dry food as well as he should be. I know he has one tooth that is sore so this morning I put him on canned cat food. He is happier. Once he looses weight, he will go in to have his teeth examined. He may be on canned cat food for here on in. 

Elliott enjoys the sunshine and loves to nap in it. I had to close the curtains as the sun was in my eyes. Elliott had been sleeping with a paw over his eyes.

Sewing

I starched the fabric for a 3 yard quilt. I am still deciding on the pattern I want to make. I have one pattern that is a strong contender but need to look at the patterns in a book I bought. The colours of the fabric are very subdued which is okay. Not all quilts need to have strong contrasting colours. 

I pressed the fabrics for the beginners quilt I am going to make. I cut out the strips for the first block and made a mistake. I have a new ruler that I am learning how to use. The first block is made. 

The second block is a 9 patch and I have cut out 3 blocks for it. I am doing it scrappy. 

There will be some snowflake blocks in this square to give your eye a place to rest. The third block will have the mistakingly cut fabrics used in it as they are usable for it. 

I finished the hand sewing on the front of the kirtle. 

I have drawn around the pattern again and had to fix a mistake. The lines will disappear when I press it. It is now ready for rhinestones. 

I have decided to make the back of the kirtle in cotton so it will be less bulky when the dress part is put over it. The front bodice of the kirtle will be in the satin and lined in cotton. The back bodice will be in cotton. I have a print I can use for it.

Knitting

I knit last night and got about 16 rounds done. The hat is growing quickly. 

I have a feeling there is going to be yarn left over. I won't be making a third hat but may make a doll's sweater from the remaining yarn. Quick and easy for summer knitting. And they can go into the doll's wardrobes I want to make. 

Thoughts

    I am a bit concerned about Elliott's health. He is getting older. He needs to loose weight which is hard as he is one lazy cat. Once he has lost his weight, I will take him in to see his regular vet and we will make a plan for his teeth and to see if he has a heart murmur or not. He was very stressed out when he saw the vet that it was probably his heart racing from the stress. But I need to make sure. 

    I didn't make it out to the shed yesterday. I will try today to do that. I have decided that I will start hoeing the hedge on Sunday and then again on Tuesday. After that it will be on days it doesn't rain. Once done, I can call the person to come and cut the edge and get the cloth down so we can put the gravel on top. I am not sure how this is going to work out as I don't know how bad the road side of the hedge is.

Today

I need to do yoga as I have been fairly pain free the last couple of days. I want to do some housework before lunch. After lunch I have to go to the bank and pick up grandson at 5 pm. In between, I will go to the shed and put away the winter equipment. I also will walk the road side of the hedge and pull up the edging that is there. As I am out for dinner I may or may not knit tonight. 

Until the next time......................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment