Saturday, April 27, 2024

The Kirtle Bodice is Done

 Yesterday was another lovely sunny day with a high of 9.5C. This morning it is clear and -2C. Today we are to have sunshine and 12C. 

Lifestyle

I was out shopping with daughter-in-law. Our first stop was in Wolfville so she could buy her course textbook at the university bookstore. I am so proud of her for doing courses towards her CPA. I did peak around the bookstore but it was pretty empty. There are very few courses offered at the moment with more coming this summer. 

We then went on to New Minas. Our first stop was to get food for Elliott. We then worked our way back to Walmart and then home. It was a quick trip which was fine as I enjoy going out with her. 

Once home, I did a few little things like putting away dishes and tidying up so I could run the dishwasher after lunch. I wasn't going to be home for dinner so I could do that job early. 

I picked up grandson from school and was happy there is a loading/unloading zone. The school hosted a ruby tournament and every parking spot at every entrance was full. There were students everywhere as they have 3 fields to play on. I took the very back entrance in and out of the school as it was the least busy road. 

Dinner was fabulous. We had curries, rice, and a salad. Dessert was a coffee cake made from Bisquick mix. The bottom half was dry and bland. The top half was delicious as it had apples and a spicy topping. I am sure they will eat it with ice cream to add some moisture. If made again, daughter-in-law will add vanilla, a bit more liquid, chopped apples mixed with cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar and then add the topping. It certainly won't be the original recipe. 

Sewing

I spent a lot of time on the bodice and got it done. I did the side and back seams which proved to be fun. First I tried to sew a side seam to a back seam. Then I sewed one side seam to the opposite side. I finally got it right. Lastly, I sewed all of the bottom seam but 2" and worried about turning it right side out. No fears, it turned beautifully. 

I changed the buttons on the hemd. I had to replace the top button as a stone fell out and I could not find it. I felt that if the dress was regal, the buttons on the hemd needed to be regal also. 

I lucked out with these buttons as they are expensive. They were 70% off and I still have a package of 2 left if I need them. 

I pinned the skirt flat onto the doll and I am happy with how it looks at this stage of the game. 

I played with crystals and pearls for the skirt/top embellishments. I am thinking flowers but who knows what I will end up doing. 

I have less crystals so am deciding if flowers or a row of crystals between the flowers. 

My research continues on both the hemd and kirtle. The kirtle I made is historically correct though boning was probably not used unless it was reeds. The front piece would have had a layer of other material added to it. That layer would have been pad stitched. For the doll's kirtle, I should have used two layers of fusible interfacing and stitched it the way as directed but added a row of stitching down the middle of the boning channels. 

The hemd has been a more difficult item to research. It is German and the neckline was smocked. The cuffs were given a very simple smocking stitch that could expand for putting the hand through. It was a garment that both men and women wore. The kirtle was worn over it. I found no reference to this high neck chemise being smocked in England as smocking has a secretive history. The collars and cuffs may not have been smocked in England during the Renaissance era. Was smocking done on labourer's garments rather than those of a higher status? 

Knitting

I didn't knit last night. I forgot to take the hat to see if it fit daughter-in-law. 

Today

I need to do two loads of laundry and start tidying up the dining area. I want to sew this afternoon and start knitting tonight. It is a stay at home day for me. 

Until the next time.....................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment