Sunday, April 14, 2024

Learning New Skills

 Yesterday was cloudy with a few good showers. The high got to  16.9C. This morning it is partly cloudy and 6C. It is to be like this all day with a high of 9C. 

Lifestyle

Yesterday morning I dusted my bedroom and then folded laundry. It was a slow morning for me as I was tired. After lunch, I had a nap which helped. 

I was out last night to help bartend at the community hall. I have never done this before. I learned a lot though not everything. It was a group of seniors who were very patient with me and ribbed me a lot. Daughter-in-law is great at bartending so she helped me when I got stuck. I was home just before 9 pm. 

Having had a nap helped me get through the afternoon and evening but it made it hard to get to sleep last night. I was also sore from standing for 3 hours and every time I moved, something would crack into place. I was pain free by the time I went to sleep. 

Sewing

I should never sew when I am tired. Before I had my nap, I decided to cut the last of the squares to make the flying geese blocks. I cut the first row 1" too narrow. I cut too many blocks as I kept thinking 2 per block when it is actually 4 per block. And I had to rip seams as I forgot to press and then I pinned and sewed the small block to the back side of the large one.

A nap did help and I finished up the blocks with no issues. I stopped when I had enough blocks and put the remaining squares into a pile for my friend. I sewed 3 blocks together and put it on the dog bag fabrics to see if my idea would work. 

It will but not in those fabrics. I will have to hunt for fabrics in the stash. Daughter and I think it will be a unique design for these bags (which will also be auctioned off).

I did trim up half of the blocks and then put 2 onto the bottom of the left side. The blocks were sewn together and pressed well. I like how this quilt is going to look when finished. 

It is so much nicer than what had been planned for this panel and fabrics. 

I have enjoyed making this quilt top. I have focused on accuracy as the flying geese pattern requires that. I have pinned the pieces in place so they don't shift on me. I have pressed with steam to get the seams flat. It has been fun piecing the top the way I wanted to do it. I am still working on improving my techniques in my way and at my pace. 

Once this quilt is done, I will prep the next 2 quilts while I work on the doll's dress. One will be starched using liquid starch and the other will be done with spray starch. The one I am spray starching is for the Ultimate Beginners Class and the other is a 3 yard quilt I want to make for the living room (Jan/Feb theme). 

Knitting

Nothing done again last night as I got home late. 

Thoughts

    Yesterday proved that I shouldn't nap in the afternoon. I was wide awake when I went to bed last night. I will be struggling this afternoon as I won't be napping today. 

    With all the cracking last night, my joints aren't sore today. The muscle in my groin is a bit tight but nothing I can't cope with. I am really happy that things are relaxing and going into place. This is allowing me to move better and giving me more flexibility. I have come a long ways in the last 7 months.  

    I am glad I went out to help bartend last night. I learned something new and enjoyed myself. I have told daughter-in-law I will help again if she needs me. 

Today

I have the balance sheet to do and then will go grocery shopping. My friend and I are getting together to design the label for her latest wall hanging. I would like to finish the border on the quilt if I have the time and energy. I may or may not knit tonight. I know it will be an early night for me. 

Until the next time.........................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment