Thursday, April 11, 2024

One Stunning Border On A Quilt

 Yesterday was another lovely sunny day with a high of 10.6C. This morning it is cloudy (has rained) and 3C. We are to have a few more showers, clouds, and a high of 9C. 

Lifestyle

I did yoga yesterday morning and I was stiff. Nothing would crack while I stretched. I think it was the change in the weather we are getting. I finally had a lot of cracking in bed last night which was good. 

I washed the hall floor on my hand and knees. It wasn't as dirty as I had thought it would be. While down on the floor, I washed the baseboards as they were dusty. Everything looked good when I was done. I was tired though as I was tired. 

Once done, I puttered around upstairs doing a few little things that needed to be done. I am trying to keep things tidier and it does help the appearance of the house. 

I was outside to do a few things. I pulled the dead leaves off the Val d'Or lilies and found the hostas are poking up. I cleaned up debris from the lawn and went down the side of the house picking up white bits of plastic covering from the heat pump hose. I also took the small garlic that had sprouted and planted them in the garlic bed. If they survive, there will be a lot of garlic this fall. 

Elliott enjoyed the afternoon sun that floods the living room. He started off on a chair to have a good cleaning in the sunshine. 

and ended up sleeping on my knitting supplies. 

Sewing

I spent what seemed like forever trimming blocks for the dog panel quilt. I only trimmed 19 of the 40 blocks. I sewed them together which went fairly quickly and then pressed them well. I cut the excess off the top of the panel and part of the side. I spent some time pinning and matching the one seam of the top border. I sewed it on carefully. 

I am impressed with how stunning this is starting to look. I had nothing to do with buying the fabrics or deciding on the block. I took what was given to me and ran with it. I am so glad I did. 

 My brain wasn't as tired doing chain piecing this time. I focused on accuracy. It allowed my mind to improve on a skill as I made 38 blocks. 

The quilt will be about 42 x 48" which is a lap quilt. It will look great in a travel trailer or camper. I know that most of the people who will be bidding on it have one or the other. 

Knitting

I finished the hat and will let daughter-in-law try it on before I finish the top. 

Next up is to start another hat with larger needles for daughter. Maybe I will knit the peach coloured yarn. 

Thoughts

    Daughter-in-law showed me a video of the eclipse at the University of New Brunswick. They had total darkness and it was amazing to look at. You can find it on their Facebook page.

    The soreness in my back is annoying. Things are tight in that area and each time they crack, it is slowly seating itself into the proper position and loosing up. While that is happening, I am stiff and sore. Heat on that spot does help but the cracking is what helps the most. It will come, and like the rest of my body, it will do it slowly. 

    I enjoyed watching the different ways people make the flying geese block on YouTube. It is interesting how people look at the block and design it differently than someone else. There is no right or wrong way; you choose the one you think you would like to do and do it. There are methods that do and don't need a speciality ruler. I have one video I am going to watch again as I may want to make more flying geese for another quilt and I may want to use directional fabric. 

Today

I need to do laundry and I want to clean the spare bedroom after I do yoga. I have a chicken carcass to make into broth and use the meat for meals. I will be sewing this afternoon and knitting tonight. If it isn't raining this afternoon, I may go for a walk. 

Until the next time..................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment