Friday, April 12, 2024

A Brain Dump Helps

 Yesterday was cloudy but we had not rain. The high got to 10.3C. This morning it is wet and 7C. We are to have periods of rain or drizzle and a high of 14C.

Lifestyle

I fell down a rabbit hole yesterday morning and didn't do yoga. I did clean up the spare bedroom. I moved the furniture so I could do under the bed. There was a layer of dust that I hadn't expected as I sweep under there all the time. The room is now clean and I am pleased with how it turned out. I didn't do the floor on my hand and knees but did wet mop them and rinsed the cloth all the time. It really helped get the floor very clean. 

The lawn maintenance company was in to aerate the lawn (better known as making raccoon poop which we laugh about). The manager and I talked while the other person did the aerating. My property is a learning curve for all the new employees as I have a ditch and garden boxes. The areation plugs will break down quickly due to the rain we are to have over the next few days. Next visit will be to lime the lawn. 

I got 2 more containers of chicken broth and 3 containers of meat for lunches from the little chicken carcass I had. I cleaned up the kitchen afterwards. I seem to get a lot of dishes dirty when making broth. I also cooked rice in the rice cooker and have enough for two more meals. 

Sewing

I fell down the quilting rabbit hole yesterday morning. I read about a quilt a lady made and I found the website and videos. It is the Ultimate Beginners Quilt. I am planning on making this quilt one block at a time on Sundays. The fabric will be these fat eighths that daughter gave me for my birthday. 

I will have to watch the directional prints and use them in blocks that allow it. The others are okay. I will buy the fabric for the sashing, borders, binding and backing over time. This is not a rush project. This is a learning project for me. 

While watching the videos on how to make each block, the presenter explained how she starches her fabric. I will be trying her method once I get some spray starch. I do have liquid starch I will also use as I like how it starches fabric. 

I spent a long time sewing on the quilt yesterday. I trimmed all the blocks (half at a time) and sewed them together. I put the border on and lo and behold I had the geese going the wrong way. I took it off and redid it. By the time I was finished my brain was extremely tired. I was probably having a sugar low also. 

I need a total of 21 geese for the bottom. I have 3 made so I figure the top will be finished by Saturday afternoon if all goes to plan. 

I printed out the doll's dress pattern and it is a whopping 17 pages of pattern pieces. My next job is to cut the pieces out and tape together the skirt. I do need to get started on this project and do some each day. 

Knitting

I started the peach hat last night. I spent a lot of time getting the tips off the cable so I could put a larger size on for this hat. Once I had accomplished that feat, I cast on the yarn and got the ribbing done. 

Thoughts

    I did a brain dump on quilting yesterday morning. It wasn't a pretty process but it was necessary. Rather than stop quilting like I had thought about, I have decided that I will continue on. I need to enjoy the process, learn new techniques, and make what I want to make. As I did the brain dump, I realize that how I learn is not like a lot of other people. I enjoy learning new things, researching ideas, and starting out as a beginning quilter while learning. While I allow myself to do that when doing other types of sewing, I have not allowed myself to do that as a quilter. Part has been pressure from others to dive in doing it the way they or the instructions stated. My brain struggles when I do that as there has been no thinking or researching time to map out the process that works well for me.  

    I had thought about taking a quilting course or two in the past 15 months but I haven't. One reason is I don't do well in a classroom environment where I feel I must conform and finish a certain amount in the time given. I am a person who needs breaks to think, process, and research. It is my method of learning. I do much better learning at home where I can stop and start as necessary. I learn by doing and making mistakes is part of my learning process. If I want to try something my brain doesn't like, I need to find something to keep it entertained. A point of interest -- I did my bachelors and masters degrees this way and excelled. 

    My thoughts ended with knowing I have to quilt in isolation and only ask for help when necessary.  I need to know what I am doing what is best for me mentally and to keep me quilting. 

Today

 I have to do yoga this morning and then I am going to tackle my bedroom. I want to make the blocks for the last border but know I have to be out at 4 pm for dinner and an evening at grandson's school to watch the play he is in. No knitting tonight as I won't be home until 9:30 pm or later. 

Until the next time.........................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment