Monday, April 15, 2024

Watching A Cardinal Protect Its Territory

 Yesterday was cloudy until late afternoon when the sun shone for a bit. There were a few small showers also. The high got to 11.6C. This morning it is cloudy and 7C. Today there are to be periods of rain and a high of 14C.

Lifestyle

I did the balance sheet yesterday morning and it balanced on the first try. Impressive as I was tired. I am doing well using up what I have and buying only what I need. I am not doing without and I am enjoying watching what I have disappear.

Once done, I went grocery shopping. It wasn't too busy so I was able to get the shopping done without crowds. Usually the stock is down on Sunday morning but not yesterday. Lots to choose from in all departments. At home I put everything away and, later on, I realized I was missing some items in the pantry. I went out and found I had left that bag in the car. 

About 1:30 pm, my friend and I took her dog for a short walk. We were walking the corner and turning it when we heard the bluejays squawking. When we looked a male cardinal was chasing one of the bluejays. Two other bluejays were watching. The cardinal's mate must be sitting on a nest in the those bushes. We stood and watched until the cardinal was happy the pesky bluejay was gone. The eggs were safe. 

I was in bed early last night as I could not stay awake. Two nights of poor sleep did me in. It was nice to feel more alert this morning. 

Sewing

I did go into the sewing room yesterday. My first job was to hunt for embroidery thread for a label I have to make. Then I wanted to look at the other labels I had designed. The computer had to update itself so while I waited I trimmed the last of the flying geese squares. They are done. The bonus -- I swept the sewing room floor as it needed it. 

Next up I have to sew the last strip together, attach it and then fix the top right hand corner. I need to turn two blocks from horizontal to vertical. Then it will be done.

I have learned a lot about making flying geese. They are easy to sew as long as you are precise. They are difficult to trim as the ruler likes to move on me. I need to find some dots to put on the back to hold the ruler from sliding. Pressing is also important as you want the blocks flat before you trim them and when you attach them to the quilt. It is a case of being accurate and precise which my brain really enjoyed. 

I watched a few videos on quilting yesterday. Some were on starching and one thing I learned was to use distilled water when diluting liquid starch into a spray bottle (inhibits the growth of bacteria). The other tidbit was how to sew the sides of the flying geese blocks so you don't sew into the points. Use a pin and mark it on the point at the back of the fabric. That was about all my tired brain could retain. 

Knitting

I did knit yesterday. I got 16 rounds done and I am loving how the yarn is knitting up for this hat. 

Thoughts

    Yesterday was fairly pain free. All the cracking the night before helped. I am certain I will be going to physio and osteopathy less often as I am feeling so much better. I will need to continue on with yoga, join a group for exercise, and start walking on nice days. I do know I will have flare ups and a few muscles and joints will hurt at times. 

    My mental health has improved considerably the last couple of weeks. Less pain means I am not over focusing on those things I can do without extra pain. I can do a lot more now. I am also finding that I can take suggestions without feeling like I'm being criticized. I know I still have to balance what I am doing and when I let people help me. It is still a case of me doing a lot in isolation. It is amazing how pain affects how you feel and act. I didn't realize that until the pain subsided and I did my brain dump.

     I so enjoyed watching the birds in the bushes yesterday. We don't have them on our side of the street due to the outside cats and no green belt. I love the cardinals. There will be other birds to admire this summer that live in the green belt. My yard is very open and the birds don't like the that unless they are hunting for worms and bugs. There is nothing I can do so I go elsewhere to watch birds. 

Today

I am going to do yoga and tidy up the kitchen. Then it will be downstairs to design and embroider the label for my friend's wall hanging. I hope to finish the border on the quilt at the same time. I have to be out for an appointment at 4 pm. I am  hoping to knit tonight. 

Until the next time..........................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment