Sunday, April 07, 2024

Smocking Tiny Areas

 Yesterday was damp and cool with a high of 4.9C. This morning it is cloudy and 1C. Today is suppose to have sunshine, clouds, rain, and snow with a high of 4C. The wind is to blow from the north. 

Lifestyle

I did yoga again yesterday morning and it felt good. The stretches are helping the muscles get stronger and more relaxed. There is less pain which is a great relief for me. 

I finished cleaning the living room yesterday and it is nice to have it done. It didn't take long as the room has been decluttered and what extras I have are kept in containers. 

Lastly I folded laundry and put it away. My morning chores were done just before noon. 

I was out for a short walk with my friend last evening and it was nice to walk with very little pain. We did the walk as her dog was wanting attention (food) and this was one way she got attention (without food). 

Sewing

I worked on the doll's chemise. I got the first sleeve smocked and what a job that was. The hole is tiny making it hard to start and finish the embroidery floss used for the smocking. Good thing I only had to start and finish each row. 

I did finish the seams on the other side and it is ready to smock today. 

I have also marked the hem so it can be pinned up and hand sewn. Once that is done, I will need to make two button loops at the neckline. I have to say this is a very labour intensive project but I have learned a lot of information while doing it. 

Knitting

I cast on and knit 14 rounds on a hat last night. The yarn is a bit slippery but it is soft to work with. 

I love the bits of fluff in white and blue. This hat is for daughter-in-law and there is enough yarn for a hat for daughter. 

I did look at the sock yarn in the stash and I have enough to make 4-5 pairs of socks. I think I have enough of an off white yarn to use for cuffs, heels, and toes to go with the yarn I just finished knitting. 

Thoughts

    I need to do a brain dump of my plans for this year. I did start in late December and need to finish it up. I know that I want to continue with using up what I have and buy as little as possible. I really need to get the stashes under control this year. 

    One of the things I am seriously looking at is paper crafting. I do enjoy it but I have to be careful about what I buy as I have gone overboard in that area. I am forcing myself to use up what is in the paper stash by making all the projects I had planned to make and then set aside. It is only when I get what I have stashed used up that I will look at buying items project by project. This is is what made me decide to make a long term plan for all my crafts (sewing, knitting, and paper). I need to keep focused on using up the materials I have rather than buying. 

    I had less pain yesterday and noticed that my body is now healing. It is tired from all the pain it has endured. I am allowing it to rest with small amounts of exercise to keep everything healthy. I have been applying a lot of heat to the sore spots which is helping. Another corner has been turned in my recovery from the mess my right side was in. 

    I have noticed that as the pain leaves and I can think more clearly about what I want to do that I am less focused on being perfect. I think the perfectionism was a coping strategy to survive the limitations I had each day. I know that the perfectionism gave me some control over what I could do and took my mind off what I couldn't do. I notice that I am less focused on being overly perfect now that I am not surviving each day. I do have high standards but I am not redoing things as I "could do better" or worrying about it being done to perfection. I am more focused on doing my best without fussing over it not being perfect or what others will think. A mental turning point for me. 

Today

I have to do yoga for sure. I need to do the balance sheet and start a brain dump on my needs and wants. It is time to do that. I have to go grocery shopping before lunch. This afternoon I want to smock the second sleeve on the chemise and maybe start hand stitching the hem. Tonight I want to knit on the hat. 

Until the next time............................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment