Thursday, December 01, 2022

Oh What A Storm

We had quite the storm last night. The wind howled with gusts up to 77 km/hr (recorded and it could have been higher), the temperature went up to 12C and it rained. Heavy down pours at time. 

The weather map at 3 a.m. says it all. We are the blue circle. 

This morning, the temperature has dropped and is now 5C at 10:30 a.m. We are to have a couple of cooler days and then another wet warm one. 

Lifestyle

Tuesday was a quiet day as I rested. My knee was aching due to the storm coming in. I managed to clean the bathroom before I had to sit and rest. 

Yesterday, my knee was still sore but not as bad. I did clean the kitchen in the morning which was a big job. I did it so I don't have to think about the little extras I did for a while. 

This morning, I got to sit and think about the storm and try to keep warm as the power went out at 3 a.m. I couldn't take grandson to school or son to physio as I couldn't get the car out of the garage. The door opens by electricity and I can't do the rope opener as I'm too short to pull it over the car. I texted my neighbour to help upright the BBQ as the wind knocked it over during the night. 

There was no damage done to the BBQ or the deck. The next door neighbour's BBQ went down off their deck and it could be damaged. 

Elliott did not like the storm. He crawled up onto the couch and laid on a blanket and was very stressed out. When I got up and sat on the couch, he crawled up on me. He finally had a couple of hours sleep while I napped. 

Sewing

Yesterday afternoon, I went down to the sewing room. It was a case of I got to get the next two projects done. I cut out the pyjama pants and hot water bottle cover from the blue flannel. The outer cover for the hot water bottle was pressed and cut into two pieces. Batting was spray basted onto the flannel. The projects were ready except for the bias binding for the hot water bottle. I will do it when I need it.

The scraps will be used for doll pyjamas so I need to bag them for next year. 

I cleaned the embroidery machine and got it ready to use down the road. I threaded the Juki and filled a bobbin. Then I threaded the serger and tested it to make sure the tension was still good. Once done, I decided to play with threads to see if I could do something different when I cross hatch the hot water bottle cover. 

I put in a top stitch needle, threaded the machine with 2 colours -- Lemon Ice and Khaki and did a test run for tension and to see if I liked the combination. I'm happy. 

I am still playing around with Inkscape and got one pattern kind of what I wanted it to be and can't remember what I did. I'll have to go back and play some more. 

Knitting

I picked up the parasol and had to rip back two rounds. There was a mistake. Two tries later, I had it done right and put it away. I was too tired to deal with it. 

Thoughts    

    The storm last night was fiercer than I thought it would have been. The wind came in from the south but it blew as hard as both the hurricane's I've experienced. The noise was unreal and left me quite anxious at times. 

    It is wonderful to have great neighbours to help me. Our neighbour's oldest boy uprighted my green bin and when it was emptied, he pulled it up by the man door in the garage. (I'm still missing a bag of recycle as it was on the road at 3 a.m. and no where to be seen this morning). Our neighbour came over to upright the BBQ which was fabulous. 

    Family called me this morning to make sure I was okay and to talk about schedules today. It certainly helps me feel safe and secure at times like last night. I'm hoping to be able to get son to one appointment today. 

Today

I'm resting today from the lack of sleep. I'm not pushing myself to do anything other than commitments with family. I'll be in bed early tonight for sure. I want to be ready to shop, sew, and be alert tomorrow. 

Until the next time...................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment