Monday, December 05, 2022

No Tree For Me

 Though yesterday's high was 12.9C, it was recorded shortly after midnight. The temperature dropped all day, it was somewhat cloudy, and a bit windy. This morning the temperature is -3C and we are to have sunshine and a high of 2C. 

Lifestyle

I got the entrance area cleaned up and when done, I hauled out the tub of decorations. I went through each one and separated them into the cardinals and the western ones. I found the ones the Spousal Unit liked the best and set them aside. The rest I may donate to the barrel racers as a prize called Christmas In July. 

I set up the cardinal display and I love it. This is my display though we both enjoyed it. 

I also grabbed the cardinals on dowels and put them into my mother's cut glass vase. I then grabbed the hydrangea bloom and used it as filler. I'm pleased to have a new display on the table. 

In the end, the family room has decorations in it, a pile of paper, and an empty tub. I need to find a small tub to put the decorations into and give them away. I do have 2 small strings of battery operated lights that I am going to keep as they are useful. 

I did set aside and pressed the tree skirt and found a birdhouse ornament for my neighbour. She is truly happy to have both of them for her small tree. 

Sewing

I got the second half of the hot water bottle cover cross hatched, cut out and tacked down. I'm ready to cut the bias binding for it. I'm really pleased with how it is progressing. 

I hauled out the fabrics I want to sew (all cardinal) and went over to my neighbour's for her opinion. She thinks the napkin's and the cardinal fabrics will work together and loved my idea of embroidering this design on the napkin fabric. 

I have 12 napkins to play with and I will need to buy red fabric for sure. I may also need to get a dark grey. I will change the colours of the trees to dark taupe grey rather than taupe. I'm getting excited about making this quilt for the living room. But, before I start on it, I have to cut down the cardinal wall hanging and do it. 

When I arrived, my neighbour had just finished cutting the wall hanging to size that she has been working on since July. It is the most wonderful thing I've seen created. 

She found a post card she loved, got permission to use it for the wall hanging and took a class to get started. She has worked on this on and off (more on) since then, turning all the fabric pieces under and hand sewing them down onto the backing fabric. She then quilted it and it has become a master piece. She is taking the same class again this coming year and is doing a fox amongst some trees. 

Thoughts

    Going through the decorations yesterday made it clear I do not want to decorate a tree. I want simple displays instead. Having the small metal tree will be enough for me. I am keeping the red/grey/white theme as it is cheerful. I am going to add to it so I can enjoy it for the month of December. Maybe even half of November. 

    I will soon be on the hunt for blues so I can make items for January. I want snowmen and snowflakes that I can put away and add something different for the spring. I've always wanted to have base items and add and subtract from it. I did do fall one year and loved it in our house in Ashcroft. A hunting I will go to expand on this idea. 

Today

I have to take grandson to school shortly and after breakfast I need to get groceries. I want to start cleaning the living room and get it ready to decorate. It may not happen depending on how much time I have. This afternoon, I want to cut the binding and start sewing it onto the hot water bottle cover. I'm not sure what I will do tonight. 

Until the next time...........................................

No comments:

Post a Comment