Tuesday, December 06, 2022

Thoughts for Sewing In 2023

 Yesterday was sunny with a high of 4.6C. This morning it is 5C and we are to have a day of sunshine with some clouds coming in this afternoon. Another rainy spell is on its way. 

Lifestyle

After grocery shopping, I sat on the couch and fell asleep. My knee and hip had ached while shopping leaving me exhausted. No housework got done but I woke feeling much better. 

Sewing

After lunch, I worked on the hot water bottle cover. I got the binding on the top part of the cover and it is thick. Once I had hand sewn it down, I went over it with a zig zag stitch to smash it down some. 

The remaining binding is going to be cut in half lengthwise  and I will trim one half to 1.5" wide and apply it as I would bias tape. With two quilted parts being stitched together, it is quite thick and I can't see the binding working. 

I found this cute tutorial for another hot water bottle cover that I may make later on. 

The Sewing Room

I need to get back to decluttering, organizing, and cleaning the sewing room. It will be happening as soon as I finish one to two more projects. Both won't take that long and I may get them started and then sew on them after I do my allocated time of decluttering. I will start with the design table as that is where I stopped. It is starting to annoy me so I need to clean it. 

Notions and Trims

As I thought about what I want this room like, I couldn't bear to donate fabrics, trims, and notions. What I need to do is focus on using them up before I buy more. I have a hoarding problem with lace, trims, buttons, and elastic (of all things). 

I notice it bothers me when I use elastic and lace trims. I have lots of elastic and I can get it easily when I need it. The little tub of elastic is full and I need to use it up and not worry about not having enough. I have lots and lots of lace. When I see it and want it, I buy it. Then I refuse to use it on projects. There isn't a lot of lace in the stores I shop in. But I need to stop hoarding it and use it. 

Buttons are the bane of my life. I have lots of them but some I can't use as I don't have enough. Others are the wrong size. I'm slowly using them up and my neighbour gave me buttons to sort through for doll's items. The rest I will return to her. I will slowly get through them over a long period of time. 

There is an abundance of ribbon in the ribbon container. I was buying hanks of it which meant I would have meters of it left over from a project. I will use what I can in doll sewing and the rest for wrapping presents. There is no shortage of ribbon when I shop for it. I have a few pieces of trim that I'm reluctant to use but I need to incorporate them into a project. They have been in the stash between 4-7 years. 

Pillow forms seem to have reproduced in the closet. Four were returned when grandson outgrew the pillows I made him 6 years ago. Those forms will be used for pillows in the family room. There are a few more that I will cover for the guest bed and the couch and chair in the living room. Once they are done, I will make new covers when necessary or needed. 

In the closet is the embroidery thread that I don't count as a stash. I bought 4 spools this year for a couple of projects but mainly used what I have. When I need more embroidery thread, I will go to a shop in Bayers Lake and get it. They have the two brands I like to use when I do embroidery.

Batting and interfacing are decreasing in amounts also. I do buy some interfacing for projects and only bought batting for daughter's quilt this year. I'm trying to buy only what I need and will use the left over pieces for placemats, bags, and other small projects. I do a lot of cross hatching rather than free motion quilting.  Interfacing I buy when I need it but I do get extra to have on hand. I use it up quickly as a lot of my projects call for interfacing. I will have to buy both interfacing and batting this year when I do specific projects. Included in this is fusible fleece which I don't have any on hand. 

Fabric

The main fabric stash is decreasing as I have focused on it for 3.5 years now. I have sewn up most of what I bought this year. I may have 3 meters that I bought and didn't sew. That shows me I bought what I needed most of the time. The focus this year is to continue sewing from it and buying only what I need to finish a project. I know I will be buying a few pieces for special projects. 

The doll's stash has a few new pieces in it. I think there is 2.5 meters that was new and not sewn this year. I need to sew more doll clothes this year. I want to sew more complete outfits for my dolls but the little girl I sew for will get more 2 piece outfits for her dolls. It will be a combination of historical and modern clothing. 

The To-Do List 2023

The to-do list is growing daily. January is easy projects that I can sew on after I do the daily decluttering challenge. Pillows, towel toppers for me, gift bags and a doll's dress. Once January is over I'm going to start on new techniques and larger items. I'm going to be making Christmas gifts, items for  my home, and I'm going to try some new bag making techniques that I've wanted to try for a couple of years. 

There will be doll sewing each month along with some embroidery. I will make piping for daughter once I get some more cording for it. With most of our ugly weather coming between January and the end of March, I want to sew most afternoons. It will help pass the time. 

Knitting

I will also be knitting more this year. I have a lot of yarn to knit and I want to try and get more of it used up. I will be knitting more doll's items this year using a variety of weights of yarn. As I get to the heavier yarn, I will start knitting hats. 

I only bought 1 skein of yarn that I didn't use. If I hadn't bought it, I would have needed it. I'm knitting a sweater from it for a boy doll. 

Today

I've taken grandson to school already this morning. I am going shopping after breakfast and then will work on the hot water bottle cover in hopes that I can finish it today. If I'm not too tired, I will try to crochet a couple of rounds on the parasol. I need to get going on it rather than sit and look at it. 

Until the next time.....................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment