Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Sewing Room Part 5 - A Beginning

Yesterday was drier with very little rain falling. More mist than rain. The high got to 3.4C. It was 1C this morning and is suppose to get to a high of 3C. We could have some rain or flurries. And maybe some sunshine before a storm hits us on Friday. Yes, we are going to be under a storm warning with rain and high winds.

Lifestyle

I got the dishes done from turkey dinner and then started to bake buns. While the dough proofed I took son to physio. Home to eat lunch, make the dough into buns. While they proofed, I went and got him and took him home. It worked well. I had the kitchen cleaned and the buns cooling by 2 pm.

I have been working on walking correctly and my knee and hip do get tired. They have been less sore since my last physio session (except for storms coming in) and I'm hoping that what I have been doing is helping a lot. I know I can stand longer, walk farther, and stretch better than I use to. Improvements have been noted. 

Sewing And The Sewing Room

Day 5 was started. I went down and cleaned up under the cutting table but haven't swept the floor yet. The plastic tubs were put into the storage room (another mess) and a cardboard box put under the table in the family room until I can put the big tub under there. It's dirty and needs cleaning. 

There is one small tub on the shelf along with the smocking pleater that needs a home in the closet. The shelving unit behind the table is a mess and will be dealt with after I do the closet. That is the unit I want out of the sewing room when I only have only enough fabric to put into a dresser. 

Feeling proud of myself for doing under the table, I opened the closet door and was deflated. But I quickly formed a plan and decided to tackle one project -- a towel that has hung from the clothes rod for over 3 years. It was a gift from a friend Xmas 2016. I haven't used it as the French Terry is too heavy. I used the topper to make my pattern so I decided to use the pieces to make myself a lighter weight towel to hang on the stove. 

I spent a considerable amount of time unpicking the pieces. The terry fabric must have been horrid to sew as this friend had to sew down pieces two to three times. I almost quit but wanted to have something where she had done part of the sewing. 

Once unpicked, I was surprised to discover the topper was not interfaced. I had thought it was so I know the fabric was not laundered. Anyways I forged ahead and made a towel for my kitchen. 

I did press the towel so the width of the towel is pleated behind the front. I have this fabric so will make potholders for the kitchen to use when it is in Christmas mode. And I have something to remember a good friend by. She knew how much I love cardinals and made the original towel with lots of love for me. 

My next plan for cleaning the closet is to put 4 pillow forms on the cutting table. I will add the flannel and zippers and will sew them while I'm cleaning out the closet. My goal is to put those 4 forms covered on the 4 chairs in the family room. I will also put the fabric and patterns on the table to sew a stole and drawers for the Regency outfit I still need to finish. 

When I tackle the closet, I am going to start by cleaning up the doll's fabric as it is such a mess. I hope I can sit on the floor while going through it all and make a list of items I want to sew. What individual items, outfits, and ensembles do I want to sew for the dolls in 2023? We will see what the fabric has to say. 

Knitting

As I haven't sewn or knit for the Gotz dolls this year, I decided to knit this lovely coat and hat for them. I have the sleeves done and started on the body. The first 3 rows were easy but when I started the pattern, which has increases in it, I read the pattern wrong and had to unknit the first row. Though only 2 rows, I will be reading the pattern every row as it is not one to be memorized. It is going to be lovely when done. And, yes, I will make the beret. 

Thoughts

    It has been 3 months since the Spousal Unit passed and I still miss him terribly. Though I'm adapting to living and doing things alone, I miss sharing what I'm doing with him. I also miss the wonderful conversations we had about the many topics we were both interested in. 

    The dull grey days have been somewhat depressing and I'm trying to keep busy so I don't notice them. I am worried about the next storm coming in on Friday. Here is hoping the damage will be minimal and people can enjoy Christmas with their power on. We don't need to have a third savage storm this fall that leaves people living without power for days/weeks on end. 

Today

I am hoping to get 2 batches of buns and sausage rolls made and put into the freezer. That way I will only have to shop and make salads on Thursday and Friday. I am not sure if I will make it down to the sewing room but if I do, I will sweep the floor and get ready to work on the closet. I am not sure if I will knit tonight or go over to the neighbours and deliver the gift I made them. We wait and see if they are home or not. 

Until the next time...........................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment